Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019 edited

I was trying to render a good image of the example map in the Japanese Temples annual when I realised that none of the varicolour trees and bushes were working. where they are supposed to be varicolour they invariably turn out black

I have tried to correct this problem myself, since I know Ralf is abroad right now, but I can't seem to make them work.

The varicolour files are in the folder, and they are named correctly. The Symbol Manager didn't initially show them as varicolour, so I amended that and saved the catalogues over themselves.

This failed to solve the problem, however, so now I am at a loss as to why these symbols won't work properly.

varicolour prob.jpg

Here are the vari files present and correct in the graphics folder

var tree.jpg

I am at a total loss about what to do next. It's probably really obvious, but I can't see it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019

The related Asian Town annual has the same problem.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Nevermind. My first impression was wrong.

I have no ideas. Sorry :(
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Nice try.

Unfortunately that doesn't work either.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Varicolor isn't ticked on my copy of the catalog.
      Image1.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

No. It was overlooked in the rush to get everything ready before release. I'm afraid I'm to blame for that. Poor Ralf only had a couple of days to do everything in.

I tried ticking the Varicolour symbol box and then saving all the symbols over the top of the old catalogue so that everything would be the same but with that one crucial difference.

That was what didn't work.

Since then I've tried doing the varicolour vegetation from scratch - importing it into a blank file and setting it up. That worked, but I'm not sure how to relate that to the existing catalogue situation.

I want to send the example files back to PF with these varicolour trees working properly so they can go into the end of year update.

Here they are working in my own personal catalogue...
      var tree2.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I wonder if its because the symbols are renamed within the Symbol Manager.

I'm going to see if I can break my own version by renaming them the same as they are named in the official catalogue.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

They're still working.

I renamed them the same as the ones in the official catalogue, and they're working fine - collection included.

Now I'm really confused!

I don't see why they won't work in the official catalogue.

The thing is... if I now paste some of the working symbols into the example file to brighten it up a bit, and then I send that file to someone else with the annual, will they still be working at the other end when they get there?

Would you mind very much if I whispered it to you, Shessar?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Yes, they are working just fine.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

How extremely peculiar!

Thank you very much for trying them.

Now I just have to work out how to make the official catalogue work properly....
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything odd about the official catalog and yet I have had the same results as you.

It will take someone more knowledgeable about the inner working than me to help you out. :)

Please post if you do figure it out, just in case this sort of thing comes up again in the future.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

OK first, look at the flag settings on the official symbol list vs your new one.
      Capture1.PNG
      Capture2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

What's that stuff about 'roof shades' about?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I don't know but it is the only difference I can see between the two symbols.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And it doesn't really relate to any of the settings in the options panel of the symbol manager either.

Hmmm.

Will I damage anything if I delete the varicolour trees/bushes from the official catalogue and re-do them the same way that I made the separate catalogue? I mean - will I damage any of the alignment and trims and frills things that Ralf did to the buildings if I delete and then re-import the varicolour vegetation?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

As long as you choose to update the catalog rather than rebuilding it things should be OK. Make a backup of the original just in case I'm wrong.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I mean to save a new catalogue using everything as-is, but with new varicolour trees. I will save it first as a temporary filename, and then if all the buildings still work the expected way I will overwrite the official catalogue and send the new version to Ralf for inclusion in the update.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Sounds good. I hope Ralf or Remy can clear this up for us when they have a few minutes to spare. I'm not fond of mysteries. :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Trust me to find this little hitch when they have all gone off to Gen Con!

LOL!

I will let you know in a few minutes if this worked. I'm also trying to solve a totally unrelated issue over on the FB page, so I may be a bit longer than expected!
    • CommentAuthorShessar

That's fine. I'm in the middle of wiping old hard drives for recycling so I come and go too.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm busy describing how to delete some, but not all of the tree blocks in a forest fill!

Its... not going terribly well! LOL!
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Not sure if this will help that person, but there is an excellent blog on selecting things

Blog
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks, Shessar :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

You're quite welcome.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Can I just ask you... since I've gone and accidentally overwritten the original "All" catalogue in my distracted state... do the buildings in that catalogue have any trims and frills?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks for all your help today, Shessar :D

I still don't know why the original catalogues don't work, but with your help I've been able to make new versions of both the ones that include the varicolour bushes and trees.

I will send these to Ralf to be included in the next update.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This is one of those silly situations that will bug me for several days now. I just know I'm going to wake up at 5am when the neighbour goes to work and not be able to go to go back to sleep because my brain will nudge me and make some stupid suggestion, and I'll have to get up and test something...
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Just for curiosity's sake, here is a discussion that mentions that flag being set. I knew I'd seen that before.

I would talk to Ralf before considering this settled.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I will let him get back from Gen Con first, but yes - he will probably tell me that they have to have that thing... whatever it is, and we will be back to square one again! LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2019

I don't know why or how that flag got set in the first place, but it is definitively the culprit. I did a short test where the only thing I did was disabling that flag, leaving everything else as it was, and that got the varicolor to display just fine again. (Which also means it is fixable without rebuilding the symbol catalog and risk any alignment changes)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks, Remy :)

I don't think there are any frills on the buildings in that set. I don't think there was time. At least I can't see any difference between the catalogue that I made, and the original, other than the varicolour symbols now work properly.

Don't worry, though, I won't be distributing it or anything. I just needed it to work for a commission I'm doing so I could 'pretty up' the example map using the full potential of the set.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Here is a small extract of the spruced up example map.

Still need a bit of work on the shadows...
      extract.jpg
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Remy, I'm glad you were able to confirm that the roof shades flag was the culprit.

Sue, this set makes such pretty maps and this map really shows it off!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Aw thank you :)

This is actually Ralf's example map from the annual. He just didn't have the varicolour bushes to really set it off. All I've done is add the bushes and the paths. The rest is Ralf's work.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Oh, I see. I didn't recognize it. Well, we all know that Ralf is absolutely one of the best mappers around, but that doesn't change the fact that your symbol art is spectacular. :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you. I am glad you enjoy it.

And as for Ralf... I think we all secretly wish we could map like Ralf :P
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2019

Posted By: MonsenI don't know why or how that flag got set in the first place, but it is definitively the culprit. I did a short test where the only thing I did was disabling that flag, leaving everything else as it was, and that got the varicolor to display just fine again. (Which also means it is fixable without rebuilding the symbol catalog and risk any alignment changes)

Its me! I'm back again. This time I'm trying to solve the same problem in the Asian Town varicolour symbol catalogue.

Remy - how do you 'disable' the flag?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Well, this is one of the settings that aren't exposed in CC3+, so the only way to do that is to write a custom XP to walk the drawing list, find images, and update the variable holding that flag. A rather simple operation, really.

I have this weird feeling that you maybe would like me to do that part for you though.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you Remy :)

You're so very kind, but really I can save you the time and trouble by repairing it the same way as I did the Japanese Temples catalogue file. It's no trouble - a 5 minute job.

I just wondered what was involved with doing it the proper way if it was even faster than that.

Thanks for letting me know :)

I'm sending all these catalogue amendments to Profantasy, so whether you or anyone else ends up doing it again for the official annual issue downloads depends a lot on whether Profantasy incorporate my altered versions or do their own.