Redraw Speed

I'm looking for ways to increase redraw speed. I have a very fast computer but the redraw speeds are still very slow. I noticed that it appears to be single threaded and not using any GPU Acceleration. Has anyone figured out any ways to make the redraws use more PC resources?

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Your observations about hardware usage is correct. There is no way to change that though. Both GPU usage and multi-threading isn't something that can be easily just turned on, it requires a pretty substantial program rewrite.

For slow maps, I recommend working with the effects turned off, or only having a subset of them enabled.
  • The latest version of FastCAD is super fast compared to this one.

"Double precision math, object oriented code, a new image buffering scheme that results in up to 40x faster redraws and zooms. "

https://www.fastcad.com/infofc7.php

Is there any way to upgrade to that version? I poked around a little and noticed there is a conversion tool that can convert WC3 files to FC7 files. I'm willing to pay for this type of upgrade if ProFantasy were to release it. Is this something that is worth exploring?
    While I am not privy to all the details, as far as I am aware, ProFantasy decided to stay with the FastCad 6 engine because it actually had better performance for the things they do. FC7 may be faster as a CAD engine, but CC3+ and addons adds a whole lot of stuff on top of it that normal cad engines don't do.
    And switching to v7 is also requires a lot of code changes to make it work, which would require a lot of expensive development.

The next version (CC4) is likely to handle modern hardware better, and therefore be much better at these things, but it is still in early development, so it is way too early to make any promises yet.
  • Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It's exciting to know that CC4 is 'a thing', even if it's only being cautiously mentioned every now and then :)
    Well, not too much to talk about yet. Beyond Ralf's initial "announcement", nothing much is known about it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's ok. We can wait :)

I only have to think about all the blog articles that I will have to re-write to understand the amount of work involved - from a 'tip of the iceberg' point of view.