Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2019 edited

Some time ago I started a thread about how to use CC3 in Linux, and whether it really worked or not.

That thread was very specific to my own personal situation at the time, which has since changed dramatically now that I have a brand new PC, but I am asking simply because I want to know - so that I can tell others about it when I see such questions coming up over on the FB page.

How do you set up a Linux only machine to run CC3+, and does it run properly with full functionality? What Linux distribution is best to use?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2019

Setting up a linux machine to run CC3+ is just a matter of installing linux, installing wine through the package manager for that linux distro, and then simply install CC3+ as you would on windows (Wine should associate itself with .exe files, allowing you to run the installer easily).

CC3+ should run just fine on any distro (as long as it is recently new/up to date), most of them contain Wine for installing through their package manager (if you manage to find one without easy access to wine, then it would be unsuitable). Personally, I recommend users just use the distributions they are familiar with (and if they aren't familiar with any, I wouldn't recommend they go ahead. Using CC3+ on linux is a good enough option if you already use linux, but if they don't already have a desire for using linux, taking on the effort of learning a new OS for no good reason isn't sensible, and there are some quirks with CC3+ on linux as well)

Generally, CC3+ works just fine on linux, the main issue I've had is that fonts doesn't render the same size as under Windows. This isn't a huge problem when mapping, but it is a problem if you plan to share .fcw files with Windows users (for example if you wish to download an .fcw from the atlas, or contribute one). See the Wine AppDB
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2019

Thank you so much, Remy :)

This is a general question for future reference. I will bookmark it so that I can recall it quickly when certain circumstances arise.

There seems to be a myth going around that CC3 fails to perform adequately in Linux, and I wish to dispel that myth.