Change River after import from FT3 to CC3+

Hello All,

Still trying to learn all this fantastic mapping stuff, but I have a question about rivers.
I have imported a FT3 (3.0.21) section of my global map into CC3+ (v3.84).
The rivers from FT3 don't look very natural and I wanted to change them in CC3+.
I can add rivers fine, but now how do I get rid of the blue line that represents the river from FT3?

Thanks.
Craig

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello craigbert :)

Reading between the lines - have you imported an image rendered from FT3, rather than a vector map?
  • Hi Loopysue,

Yes, that is correct.
    My reason for asking is that I don't think exporting rivers in any other way than on a bitmap is possible... is it?

If I'm right then you can't edit the bitmap in CC3, and I don't think you can edit the river overlay in FT3 either. (I might be wrong about that, so don't take my word for it)

If, however, I am right about both those things then you would need to export two bitmaps - one with and one without the rivers, and draw the rivers you want the way you want them in CC3 using the river map as a guide, then hide or delete the image with the rivers on it when you are done.
    Hehee! That shows how long it takes me to write a comment. You had not replied when I started that last one of mine.

I'm a little busy right now or I might run a few experiments to see if editing the river overlay in FT3 is possible. It might be. I just don't know because I've never tried it.
  • Hi Loopysue....yeah there does seem to be a bit of delay.
    In CC3+ I can change the color of the river using the properties tool which is what made me thing I should be able to delete it.

Thanks.
  • Another odd thing....the scale is off by 125. In other words the scale goes from 0 to 200, but when I measure that distance using CC3+ distance tool it says 325.

I am thinking I have a bit more of a learning curve here than I thought....
    I think I might be out of date in that case, because that means it is a vector, which means... I need to ask a few more questions.

How did you export the file from FT3?
  • From FT3 I did:
    File => Save CC File
    I have custom export settings:
    Page 1
    The kind of file = "Campaign Cartographer 3
    Altitude Contours is the only one checked
    Altitude is set = "Basic
    Page 2
    Draw Filled Contours is checked
    Draw Coast Outline is checked
    Outline color = Black
    Contour Intervals = 1000
    (18 contours )
    Page 3
    The degree between "Coarse and Fine" = 768
    No boxes checked on this page
    Page 4
    Contour Bar is checked
    Scale Bar is checked
    Border is checked and the sub-box Fit Border tightly to map is checked

BTW, thanks for helping me sort through this, I appreciate it.
    edited July 2019
    I think you may have thanked me prematurely.

I'm not really 'getting' how the rivers have been exported, since all those options are about coast and contours.

How did you export the rivers? Did they just appear in the map?
    Ok, then.

I have no idea how that worked, but if they are there, then they are there, and they are vectors.

If you try to delete one what actually happens? Do they all light up pink?
  • When I select it, it turns pink.
    But if I try to "cut" it from the Edit menu or Erase it reverts back to its default color.
    Only just that river, or all the rivers?

Would you be able to upload the FCW here in a whisper to me so I can see what you mean?
    edited July 2019
    Thank you!

There appears to be two sets of lines relating to the rivers here

[Image_13002]

I was able to delete the straight blue lines without a problem

[Image_13003]

And I was also able to move the nodes of the wiggly rivers without any difficulty here.

[Image_13004]

I think maybe the problem is related to not necessarily knowing which tool does what exactly?
    edited July 2019
    I used the erase tool to get rid of the straight line versions.

Then I used the move node tool [Image_13005] to pick the nodes in the wiggly rivers to make that outrageous bow. Its on the left hand toolbar.
  • I am 100% sure that you are correct!
    I am still more than a little new to this.
    Which tool did you use to delete the straight blue lines?

And THANK YOU!!!
  • We cross-posted again. :-)

So I erased them, but now I have white lines where they used to be.
    How do I get rid of those?
    On no!

THANK YOU!!!

I never realised the river overlay could be exported, so I've learned something incredibly useful myself today :D

If you can't find the right tools to do what I've just done give me a shout and I will do a series of walk through images.
    And again :P

That's just the screen refresh. rock the mouse wheel - its quicker than hitting the refresh button.
  • That worked!

Thanks! I need to remember to refresh more.
    Unlike other graphic apps CC3 doesn't automatically refresh every time you do something. Rocking the mouse wheel is a hack that causes it to refresh twice in quick succession. Its only not a good idea if you have a huge map and each refresh takes more than a few seconds.
    Just reading back over the thread, I think there is always an issue with scale between FT3 and CC3. It's caused by the map projection.

FT3 interprets the globe with a curved surface and takes that into account when you ask it for a distance. Meanwhile, CC3 is a 2D app with no idea about what projection a map is drawn in. It can only measure the distance between the two points you have indicated as if the map is on a flat surface with no distance distortions.

That's why, when I make a world map from an FT3 export in CC3, I may indicate that the scale shown on the scale bar is the 'equatorial scale' - meaning the scale over the rest of the map is not the same.
  • That makes sense....in fact as I read that I am pretty sure I read that someplace else in the forum.
    Thanks again. I was really struggling with this and was going to throw in the towel.
    You have saved me a bunch of time and a few head bangs on the desk!
    :-)
    You're very welcome!

And thank you for accidentally showing me that rivers CAN be exported from FT3. I can include that aspect in a tutorial I'm writing and further enhance the resulting world maps.

Whenever you hit a problem, don't forget that there are people here who can help. If I had been going in totally the wrong direction with this I am pretty sure that others would have jumped in to save you from me :)