Missing Assets

For some weird reason, I am all of a sudden missing assets and I cannot explain why. The screenshot shows missing Mike Schley graphics, but this anomaly isn't limited to that artwork. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled CC3+ and Update21, yet the problem persists. Has anyone encountered this and resolved the issue?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    hmm. That looks a bit odd. Normally, missing fills happen because you are trying to use a set of drawing tools not designed for the current template, but in those cases the fill shows up as solid colors, where here you can see the red X'es, which clearly indicates actual missing files.

Does this happen in every map, for example, does it happen if you start a brand new Mike Schley map? (And does it happen with other map types?). If it does indeed happen in a brand new map, can you try to open up the fills tyle dialog in that new map, go to the bitmap files tab, select a missing fill, for example Desert_MS and check the file path listed the. Then check if that file actually exists on the disk (The @ symbol refers to the CC3+ data directory, usually c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus)
  • It looks like this map is bugged all of a sudden because Sheet Effects also stopped working for it. Starting a new map has no issues. Now I just have to get everything over to a new map template, which is proving tedious with copy/pasting.
    You can try just inserting the old map into the new by using Draw --> Insert File. It won't copy over the sheet effects, but those can be saved as a preset in the old map, and then loaded in the new one.
  • I did a copy+paste and loaded the preset with all my Sheet Effects, but the new map won't load them either. This is very bad, considering I've been working on this map for nearly a decade.
    Check your layers. For sheet effects to work properly, make sure the MERGE layer isn't hidden.
  • Nope, it's not hidden. I think I found the reason but not the fix. Apparently, all the effects are actually missing (even on new maps).
    Hmm, that's weird.

All the .dll files for the effects are found in C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Filters, you can always check that they are actually there (should be 9 files)

You could also try to check that the visual C++ runtimes required by CC3+ are properly installed. Normally, these are installed automatically by the installer, but you can also download them directly from Microsoft and install them manually, you'll need both the 2017 and 2013 version of the redistributable, found at this page. Note that you'll need the x86 (32-bit) version of these, no matter if your Windows version is 32 or 64 bit.

If that doesn't help, I recommend you contact Technical Support, they should be able to help you get this sorted.
  • Something must have happened during my reinstall. I indeed had the VC++ runtimes but I went ahead and reinstalled the x86 versions. After a reboot, the Sheets Effects issue resolved but the missing files one is still buggered. However, I should be able to copy over now properly. *shrugs*

Thanks for all your help!
  • I'm definitely experiencing the same issue with textures, actually. Sheet effects are working fine, but for whatever reason, there's just a MASSIVE amount of missing assets suddenly, out of nowhere, and not related to any updates to the program either. I had hoped installing the latest update might fix it, but no luck. Did copying things over fix it for you, Lazserus?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I had a very weird thing happen to me a few days ago, where a map I exported from FT3 suddenly lost all its layers - AND all its sheets. Everything ended up on the common sheet, and that was the only sheet left behind.

Could this be related?

I cured my problem by re-exporting the map and starting again, but I'm not the one trying to save a map that's been going for several decades!
    I also lost all the sheet effects.

If this has just started to happen, and since there hasn't been a recent update, I might suspect MS Windows updates.

In fact I do most seriously consider MS Window updates to be the culprit!

Well, it's either that or we all caught a PC virus aimed at CC3 at roughly the same time, and I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. Plus we all use different AV.
  • edited July 2019
    When I "loose" all my SHEET-effects - which means some or all effects do stopp working all of a sudden (or maybe even other strange things begin to happen in CC3+)
    I follow an advice that I found here in the forum
    Topic can't load CC3+

In short:
    Run a DD3 repair install
    and I usually run a reinstall of Update 21 - the last CC3+ update.
    Then everything seems to work properly again.

I had "the effect-error" quite a lot of times during the last months. It is a little bit annoying and I usually have it on my Win 10 pc, not on my old Win 7 one.
    Which points to MS and their dratted Win 10... wish I'd never even heard of it... app!
  • Now that I think of it, there was definitely a Windows update between the time my map was working properly and the time it wasn't (about a week in between). The effects issue had something to do with the Visual C++ Runtimes because reinstalling 2015 and 2017 immediately repaired effects not showing up. The assets disappearing is a weird one. Reinstalling CC3+ actually broke more things than fixed (didn't install Visual C++ Runtimes properly, leading to missing effects). The only way I was able to get the assets to appear was by copying everything over to an entirely new map file because, for some reason, that one file was corrupted. New maps showed everything just fine, so copy+paste was the solution.