Copyrighting and/or Watermarking Maps Help?

Hello there! So I’ve run into a bit of issue here. See the thing is that I have a completed map and I am unsure of to properly copyright it or watermark it. I was hoping I could a little direction. I know that there’s a copyright instance when you go to make the map at first but I’m hoping that there’s another way to do that. I have put a lot of time into this map. I really appreciate any help that can be given. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    Assuming you're in a country that has signed the Berne Convention (most have), copyright is automatic once the map is created. If you have some commercial intention for it, you can register the copyright (well, you can register it regardless) There is more information here if you're in the US. (Note: any web site that does not end in .gov is a company trying to sell you a service that you probably have no use for. This is not a complicated process.)

Watermark is something completely different. It is a way of proving that the image is what you created, which can be useful for tracking infringements.

But also note that none of this will matter if somebody decides to rip you off and you don't have or won't spend a lot of money on lawyers. Any legal case that goes to trail will likely cost $100,000 or more in legal fees. More if there's an appeal. If it's not worth that, copyright is good only for reminding honest people to be honest (and you don't need to register it for that).
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2019
    Taustinoc is right. Being the copyright owner doesn't prevent things from happening.

I used to get really annoyed when people pinned my maps without giving me credit, and on a couple of occasions a while back linked directly to a couple of them from an RPG FB group so that people using the links weren't even aware of who made them or owned them.

Nowadays I mark my maps "Copyright 2019 Sue Daniel (aka 'Mouse')", so if they are... ahem... 'borrowed', at least people get to see who drew the thing.