Weird Behaviour Pt 2

Second odd behaviour is this:

I also wanted to add some texture to the land, and changed the fill style to "graasslands dark green", which made lines appear all accross the drawing see attached).

Any thoughts on this would also be useful

Thanks
Stu

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2019
    Those lines tend to appear when you have several very detailed polygons joined together as one big multipoly. From the look of things exploding that multipoly isn't really the thing to do because you would lose the lakes - which I'm guessing you want.

However, if you were to explode the land (the button with the stick of dynamite on it), you could then use the SIMPLIFY command to reduce the density of nodes just a bit and try re-mulipolying the land after that. You do that by clicking the MultiPoly button on the right toolbar and selecting all the land.

Its not a guaranteed solution, but it may reduce the number of those lines. If you are lucky they might all disappear.
  • OK, thanks. I did want to keep the lakes, so I found a work around of my own.

That landmass was in fact 1 entity, due to the way exports from FT3 seems to export things.

In the end I copied all the outline entities (which were all separate) to the land sheet, so that they were all individual entities.

It has removed the line issue, but it has slowed zooming in and out down quite a lot!

S
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There is a huge amount of detail in that coastline, and a correspondingly huge number of nodes. It is this that is causing the slow down. If you want to speed things up a bit you can use the SIMPLIFY command on each of the new separate pieces of land.

It might be a good idea to do that before you really get into the rest of the mapping, since tracing that coastline each time you want a desert or a forest to meet it is going to take forever, not to mention the fact that adding more nodes on top of that already rather large load will only make it slower again.
  • Thanks - I will try that and see how it changes the overall look of the map
  • Possibly stupid question - where can I find that command? It doesnt even seem to be in the help file index!'
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This Blog Article has some brief information about it. Scroll down, you'll find the 'Simplify' header a bit down on the page.