Map Resource: David Hemenway Map Assets Roll20

Anyone use His Map Assets from Roll20?
I was wondering if he has any without Shadows attached?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I'd never heard of him before now, but I live in a very small pond so that's no surprise.

Do you have any PS or GIMP skills?

If you do, then you could very easily knock up something like that using textures from textures.com in about half an hour.

The reason I don't do that myself is that I'm always a little confused about their EULA, but if its only for personal use that's no problem.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Gorgeous stuff! I'd buy a whole bunch of it but everything has shadows, which doesn't work for me. Too bad.
  • jpstodwftexasjpstodwftexas Traveler
    edited June 2019
    Made to use primarily with Roll20. I am trying to find out if he has just a Base PNG File without shadows. I see a lot of repeating files in his Sets.

Loopysue I got Gimp put I ain't had any luck learning it. If I had someone here to actually walk me through I can learn just about anything.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    There are a lot of tutorials for GIMP on YouTube that are really helpful.
    I can help you with some things, but like Scott says - everything I learnt about GIMP was either from the Tome via Remy's instructions on how to create new bitmap symbols, or by watching YouTube videos. A lot of what I would teach would be: "For layer masks watch this video". I've done a blog tutorial on how to make your own parchment textures using GIMP, and there are other tutorials where I briefly jump to GIMP to do a bit of bitmap processing.

The best thing to do is to pick a simple task, like "I want to make a copy of this symbol just to learn how its done" and then set about trying to do it.

To make that symbol above, for example, you could find an almost identical wooden plank texture on Textures.com. You wouldn't really need the post texture, because that can be created by smearing the wood texture in a circle using the smear tool. Then you would need to learn how to make a GIMP texture (seriously easy), fill a whole layer with it, rotate the layer, and mask it out to form the shape of the platform and posts together. Then you would smear the post tops using the smear tool. Another 2 layers would suffice to add the shading to give it shape and form. Then a fourth and final layer to add an optional shadow.

I have to finish something right now, but if you want I can go find all the YouTube tutorials you will need and list them for you here in a couple of days time?
    edited June 2019
    If you register an account at Textures.com, by the way, you can download 15 free "low res" textures each day. You can't use them commercially if you don't pay for them, but you can certainly use them to make yourself some attractive new symbols for your personal use in your own maps.

There are some practically identical wooden planks on this page.

https://www.textures.com/browse/bare/45356
    These are the terms of use for Textures.com. I have a mental block as soon as I know I'm looking at an EULAs, it seems - a sort of phobia. I can't seem to work out if it is ok to make symbols out of the ones I download free and then sell them (either to PF or privately) so I don't ever do it. Maybe you or one of the others reading this thread can say one way or another.

https://www.textures.com/terms-of-use.html

Its in Article 5 on that page.