I need to distort things

I want to map a tree so big it has worlds for apples, and squidge my maps onto it as little tiny pictures with hotlinks.

I think I know how to do the tree itself, but I want the worlds to be circular with borders around them. As they will sit over the tree, I can't have a white cut-out shape to hide the bits I don't want seen. Can I trim a map to a circle shape in any other way?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2009
    Should be quite possible. You have two options as far as I can think of right now:

I:
    Export the maps that are to form the "apples" to a png Image, then use image manipulation software to cut out a circle, and make the rest of the image transparent. It is basically this way CC3 raster symbols work. They are all rectangular images, but with transparent parts.

II:
    Draw a circle in your CC3 map, then use the cut and trim functions to trim all your lines to fit inside this circle. Or if the worlds haven't been drawn yet, start with a basic circle, and when using the draw tools, use the trace function to make sure they follow the edge of the circle.
  • So far I have the attached pic. I'm going to add a circular symbol to border all of the worlds, I think. Maybe a few clusters of leaves.
  • Ooh. That is a good idea !
  • 27 days later
  • I've added a wreath around the bigger worlds, and put in some appropriate sheet effects and a lot of symbols. There is a lot of detail there that gets lost to definition problems, but it looks good close up as well.