[OT] project tracking my maps ?

I am finding myself losing track of what maps I'm working on, how much I have done on various of my sites, for the Atlas, etc.

Started using WebCollab, but the projects and tasks aren't visible to anyone but me. I want them world visisble so other folks here and elsewhere can remind me I forgot something on the map, great progress, weren't you working on level 5 of Dwarf Home ?, etc.

I have yet to find one that doesn't concern itself with costs and medium to large teams.

It has to be free, something I can install on a sub-domain of my domain, and no future costs.

Do any of you use such software ?

Thanks.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    All that sounds really impressive. It sounds like a database solution to me, but I remember suggesting a database before now and you saying you preferred spreadsheets.

I've no idea what WebCollab is, but if MS Access would work you can get it low cost by renting MS Office 365. The purchased versions of MS Office do not include Access (which always irritated me, because Access was always more useful to me than any of the other apps!)

With Access you can generate spreadsheet reports based on time periods and other such conditions, which could then be shared.

Just a suggestion :)

Mind you - if you haven't already been building the database from the outset whenever you started doing this, and you haven't got nice strictly formatted spreadsheets to feed into one, a database will take a while to create.
  • I don't mind a web site for this, but none of the ones I have tried are visible to anyone unless they have an account.

WebCollab is a project managment software for a web site, but only I can see what is there. I'll check the page permissions and see if I can make that one page visible. Nothing built in to the settings that I can see.

I have OpenOffice Calc, pretty similar to Access. I did have to use Access a bit at my job before retirement, my boss then suggested someone else use it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2019
    Posted By: JimPI have OpenOffice Calc, pretty similar to Access
    Not quite, it is similar to Excel, but not even close to Access.

For project management, it depends on exactly how much manual work you think is acceptable.
    for example a Wiki, is pretty flexible, but requires manual work when managing things.
    A Trello board might work nice for you, it is intended to keep track of tasks in various stages, I think they can be made publicly visible.
  • I'll. Look at it on my desktop computer but it looks like I have use their site.

As for Access, well. I am tired. On my cell phone.
    Don't worry Jim :)

If you don't get on with Access you won't have used it that much, or even at all. I was initially forced to use it by an employer, but he insisted that I use it and wouldn't let me use anything else. At first I really hated having to do something what seemed to be the very long way around - by telling the app about the entire world and his dog before getting it to do anything at all useful, but I did get it to automatically alert the Fleet Manager when every one of his 99 call-out vehicles needed an MOT, car tax, insurance, and when its total repairs exceeded the value of the vehicle taking depreciation into account (in other words the moment it became 'a scrapper').

Looking back I think they expected me to fail - constructively seeking a way to get rid of me because I'm not very 'normal' face to face and people don't like me all that much because I make them feel uneasy (I can't help it - that's just the way I move and speak because I have autism), but I didn't fail because what makes me different also gives me a very slight edge on an intellectual level.

What I'm saying is its an awkward moo-bag, and not much liked by anyone but those who through whatever means have already managed to discover its secret power and already become familiar with how to fly the stupid thing.

It's no shame to feel like shoving it aside. If I'd been given a choice in the matter I would have done exactly that myself :P
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2019
    I have both LibreOffice and OpenOffice. LibreOffice has Impress, which seems like a power point clone. So I don't have any equivalent of Access.

I tend to irritate people to, apparently without me even trying.

Weirdest thing that ever happened to me was a manager for a different department telling me it was okay for me to violate the laws of physics to do something he wanted done on his computer because he was a manager. I then said, "You don't know what they are, do you ? These aren't written laws. The only way I can do that is if someone comes up with a scientific breakthrough that would make that possible.". He complained to my boss, who laughed, and then the guy went to the big boss. And then two days later he was gone.

aren't written laws. Typo fixed.
    There are lots of other database apps out there - some free, some not. I only stick with Access because I took all that trouble to read the entire manual to learn how to use it properly to save my job at the time, and all that hard work would be wasted if I switched to anything else.

I only had experience with DBASE before that, and I don't think anyone under about 20 would even have heard of it.
  • I've heard of DBASE III. Yeah, I'll skip that to.

But I'll look on my domain and see what else is available. Databases might be, I just never looked for those in particular.
  • Well, the DB tools there are for manipulating my current MySQL etc. files... I may use one of those later, but it doesn't look like they wil lhelp me with this.

However, I did find an elearning software I have installed may be helpful. Created my own categories, have to substitute my own logo graphics, etc. But its visible without logging in. At least it appears so. Anyway, I'll work on adding things there and testing it. Then back to mapping.
  • Decided to just modify an install of Textpattern, back to mapping.
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    Maybe an install of Simple Machines Forum with the SimpleDesk add-on? SimpleDesk is for a help desk, but seems like you could adapt it to your project tracking and reporting without a whole lot of trouble. SimpleDesk development stalled a few years ago, but it still works on SMF.

SMF can be installed to a subdomain, sits over MySQL, allows for file attachments, and has lots of permissions to fiddle around with to make things visible with or without logging in. However, maybe also overkill for what you're looking for.
    edited June 2019
    Thanks. I may check into that, but I'm a bit 'install uninstall' burned out today.

This is the site: hobby tracking but there are only two posts ( welcome and about ) and no maps there.

I see SMF in my cpanel. I have a number of things to do but I'll try and check into it before next weekend. Thanks.

edit: Simple Desk is an add-on, but it was last modified 8 years ago. I'll have to check more into it before I use it.
    edited June 2019
    I decided to just use Textpattern. I have added basic info on 5 projects.