Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLadieStorm
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019

Okay, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. After losing 3 years worth of work, some might throw their hands up and give up completely. Me, I get right back up, and start again. I had started this challenge before my external hard drive quit. So I have to start from scratch.

The challenge, is to map a natural disaster... and you actually have to see the natural disaster happening within the map. I'm not going to tell anyone which natural disaster I have chosen... I'm going to see if I can actually create a natural disaster in a way that everyone understands what it is.

But first, I have to set the stage. So I'm once again pulling out Shessar's stream tutorial, just so I remember exactly how to do it... but this time, I'm not using dd3 to make it. I'm using the DA dd3 style. I decided this would make for a darker, grungier map which would keep in line with my chosen disaster. So this should be interesting.
      Path of Distruction1.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019

Nice start :D

It's great to see such a speedy recovery.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019

well, I'm continuing my progress on this, I've finished up the stream/river. Now I need to take some time to decide whether this is going to be a hamlet/village, or a single dwelling that has to deal with the disaster I'm hoping to create. I'm leaning toward hamlet/village, but the single dwelling has it's advantages as well.
      Path of Distruction2.JPG
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2019

I decided on the hamlet/village. This one is VERY small, just a few homes and maybe a pub. As more people move to this little area, it could get bigger, but for now it's a really small place. So now I just have to figure out how to make my impending disaster... but I have a few Ideas for that... we shall see how it turns out!
      Path of Distruction3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Very nice :)

That soil is a bit pink for my taste, but it kind of works.

it's supposed to be red clay... I may need to tone it down some... or I may change it, it's a little too...static... right now.

But I've brought in my impending disaster... a tornado. I admit it's not the best, but it is my first attempt. So without further ado, here it is:
      Path of DistructionF.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Goodness!

Is that a symbol, or did you draw it in polygons?
    a series of polygons... actually circles, then polygons closer to the top, with lighter and darker arcs. And then there is a blur on all of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2019

Looking cool. Map itself is very nice.

The tornado looks a little bit odd compared to the rest, but making something like that is a tricky beast. Have you tried using a small amount of transparency on it? Will make it a bit less dense, and will help it blend in better.
    no, I didn't… but that is an excellent thought. I may play around with that...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Rather than trying to get a whole load of arcs working ok together, maybe just draw overlapping circles and ovals like a big stack. The bits you don't need around the back will be occluded by the ones on top of it anyway, and the topmost one will be occluded by the final cloud formation.

It will look slightly more rounded and 3D as well if you use circles of increasing size.
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2019 edited

uhm… I actually did that, but maybe not the right way. I'm not going to worry about it too much... it took me 4 hours to get just what you see. If I ever have to make another tornado, I will work on the technique... and I may continue to tweak it, I may not... but I have a commission I have to restart... so I can't take too much time on this.

I did, however, change a couple of things.
      Path of DistructionF.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It looks much better now its transparent :)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2019

i'd consider removing that blur from your dirt sheet - it's a bit distracting
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I agree with Lorelei.

If the texture is a bit too much for what you want, just scale it down to about half what it is in the Fill Style Properties box. You shouldn't need to blur it then :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wow !
    I was thinking that myself, that area was a bit too intense, so I blurred it some, but I don't like that either. I will have to work on it a bit..

Also, someone else commented on my tornado over at the guild.. got me thinking I may not be done with it, either.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

All you need to do to that dirt is halve the x and y scale in the Fill Style Properties box, and it will look fine. The gritty bits are the size of gigantic boulders compared to the houses, so it could do with being downsized, and might even be better at less than half the scale.
    I'm still tweaking... so here is the latest tweak. Tell me what you think.
      Path of DistructionF2.JPG
    okay, last tweak. I decided I didn't like that particular dirt fill for this map. So I went for one of the city designer ones. I also fixed the tornado. At this point, I'm calling it done.
      Path of DistructionF3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2019

I prefer the first one - with the reduced gritty texture. It goes better with the photorealistic nature of the map.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2019

And the tornado is looking a lot better as well :)