Questions to advanced users (modern city, night and environment)

Hi. I have not quite typical questions. I create a text-based computer game. And for quite a long time, the idea of adding maps of locations doesn't go out of my head. Because it's convenient and intuitive for the player. Less descriptions (location) and all that. Of course, hiring an artist would be the solution. But there is a little problem here. The budget is almost entirely consist up of my enthusiasm. Obviously, this isn't the most liquid currency. Therefore, I’m looking for another options.

So I became interested in СС+, I bought several products for experiments. By the way, not the ones that I really need, but... Well, now I need to know exactly what to buy. So I will describe my ideas and requirements for maps, and experienced users (I hope) will help to figure out whether СС+ can implement these ideas or not.

Requirements:

1. Modern city. Specifically the 90’s. In gloomy (dark) colors. Three map levels: city, streets, rooms.

2. Maps must be nightly (required condition). All of them.

3. Maps (except for the general map of the city) will often show not the most pleasant places to visit: slums, dirty dark alleys, broken neon signs, cheap motels and brothels, outback supermarkets, abandoned construction sites, squalid shelters, etc.

Questions:

1. So, as I understand it, Modern SS3 can help with maps of streets and rooms, but from the examples, the places depicted look so... neat, evеn clean. Will Modern SS3 cope with the image of the dark side of the big city? Maybe somewhere in Annuals there is a suitable style that I overlooked?

2. As I understand it, you can add a night effect and lighting. I experimented, but I didn’t really like the results, to be honest. I read the forum (there is only one topic about creating the effect of the night on the map). Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just lack of experience.

Also, I found a possible solution in Cartographer’s Annual 2015. That is exactly what is called "Day and Night”. But there is no certainty. On examples is only fantasy maps (there is no difference, day-night effect should work anywhere, right?), some tutorial and "1 menu addition" (what exactly do this addition?).

Of course, it's easier to buy and see for yourself. But considering that everything else in the annual is useless to me, I decided to ask first.

3. Suitable styles for a general city map (with districts and important places). I reviewed all the Annals, but didn't find the ideal option. The style should be a bit gothic, in dark colors. More or less suitable Cthulhu City from The Cartographer’s Annual 2017. But the colors of the map... Can they be changed? With stylization under the 30's, when the 90's are needed, also a problem. On the other hand, many buildings could have been built at that time, so it's not a big deal.

Perhaps this isn’t all, or I missed something important or potentially useful to me. Feel free to point that. Thanks.

Comments

• ss3 will certainly help give you some of what you need. The CSUAC and the Dundjinni Archives also have some modern symbols that will help you with what you need.

Now as for modern buildings... it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for iso skyscrapers, and things of that nature, then I don't think there is anything available. but you can create, say a street, alley, and things of that nature with dungeon designer. A lot of us use dungeon designer even if we are creating above ground maps. I have seen a few modern maps made with cc3+.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There seems to be a general lack of modern dystopian city symbols, but that may be because its more of a dungeon scale thing than a city scale thing.

I don't know if it will still work (following several updates since it was accidentally discovered), but you used to be able to punch holes in the rooftops of existing intact city symbols using the Colour Key sheet effect - providing you were using City Designer 3. Normally you can't modify symbols that way in any of the other add-ons.
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks guys!
    Posted By: LadieStormss3 will certainly help give you some of what you need. The CSUAC and the Dundjinni Archives also have some modern symbols that will help you with what you need.

Now as for modern buildings... it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for iso skyscrapers, and things of that nature, then I don't think there is anything available. but you can create, say a street, alley, and things of that nature with dungeon designer. A lot of us use dungeon designer even if we are creating above ground maps. I have seen a few modern maps made with cc3+.
    I will definitely look the CSUAC and the Dundjinni Archives.

As for the problem of skyscrapers, in my vision maps of streets go in small sections (~ 30x40 meters). Considering that the top view of the map... in theory, a skyscraper can be represented by a simple square (so high that the roofs are simply invisible). Far more important to me is what can be placed with CC+ and SS3 on a dark alley between two such skyscrapers (squares).
    Posted By: LoopysueThere seems to be a general lack of modern dystopian city symbols, but that may be because its more of a dungeon scale thing than a city scale thing.

I don't know if it will still work (following several updates since it was accidentally discovered), but you used to be able to punch holes in the rooftops of existing intact city symbols using the Colour Key sheet effect - providing you were using City Designer 3. Normally you can't modify symbols that way in any of the other add-ons.
    Yes, "lack of modern dystopian city symbols" - well formulated. Exactly what I mean.

At the moment, I am more inclined to the decision to create variables in the code that track the player’s location, but instead of images there will be short text descriptions. And when (if) it turns out to find a solution with suitable images (maps), then it will be possible to simply replace text blocks with maps. Something like a temporary solution.