Isometric Hex Grid

Hello,

I am wondering how to create isometric hex grids? I tried using the grid tool but only allows for creation of isometric square grid. It says on this website that is possible https://www.profantasy.com/service/faq.asp (I am using cosmographer in CC3+)

Also when I do numbering, it starts in the bottom left hand corner - is it possible to change where the "beginning" of the grid is?

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2019
    I suspect someone was in a hurry when they wrote that one. The actual line from the the version log is
    - added Isometric grid option to HEXGRID command. which MAY sound like isometric hex grids, but the HEXGRID command is the command used no matter what grid you wish to add to the map (Was probably just hex grids initially, then functionality was added, but the command name stayed the same for legacy/backwards compatibility reasons)

If you have Perspectives 3, you can use 3D Projection image on an existing hex grid to turn it into an isometric one though (but it won't have a correct snap grid and support for hex symbols and such)

Unfortunately, you cannot change the automatic numbering, if you need a different setup, you would need to number them manually. (Note that if you use the Number Label image command, it increments numbers for each click, so it is helpful when manually numbering many things in a row.)
  • Oh okay - no problem.

The label command is a good idea! Is there a way to change the font of it? I tried right clicking on it but didn't bring up an option. Also when I try and set the numbering scheme it doesn't seem to maintain i.e., I wanted to number it 001, 002, 003 but it goes 001, 2, 3. I am guessing not possible to do what I want in that regard but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It uses the current font settings. Just click Text Specs image to change before using the command.

Unfortunately, it doesn't keep leading zeroes. This is just how computer variables work when adding numbers. It supports adding non-numeric information, so if you tell it to start at A1, the next will be A2 and so on, but the number increment is handled by just having the computer add 1 to the number (just like telling a calculator to add 1 to 001, it will return 2)