Zoomed in Map

(cc3)

I've done a nice continent sized map, with a fractal coastline i like. Whats the best way to export a region of this to do a more detailed zoomed in map?

Thanks

Comments

• Ha !

The question that kills !

There is no easy way like cut and paste.

There's a very good tutorial : very good tutorial

Even if it was designed for CC2/PRO, it's still the only way I know.

JdR
  • You're welcome.

In fact, this little treasure from Dr Smale can be found in the Map Maker's Chest, on the Profantasy main site.
    You can access it from your account page and find the other gems by Allyn.

Man, how I was waiting for those articles...
    Now Allyn is working on bigger hoards, including the fantastic Annuals I recommend you. If I could, I would subscribe till 2050 !

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your map.

JdR
  • edited April 2009
    Might be awhile - 87 steps seems a lot! ;o)
  • How can you do a scale, but only change the horizontal. I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of warp command...
  • edited April 2009
    SCALEXY

edit : sorry, that may have been abrupt but I was in a hurry :)
    JdR
  • edited April 2009
    No worries.

After I've exploded things down to lines, how do I fill them with textures... the tutorial seems to stop at that point, so I guess it's pretty obvious.

"Convert paths to polygons"

They all seem to be unconnected lines at the moment.
  • You now need to convert them to polygons to fill them. I tend to use multipoly, but you can also use path to poly. (I use multipoly because there's an easy button for that, where all the other simple drawing tools are.)

Beware having too many points just next to each other. If you have that, you can get weird zig-zags all over the place, or weird holes in your fill style, as CC struggles to put the nodes in the right place. Delete any node that's almost directly on another, and you should be alright.
  • I get a wierd stripy effect...

Photobucket
  • edited April 2009
    Do you have sheet effects on ? Those are not automatically scaled and parameters have to be adapted manually.
    If not try applying solid fill (change properties or CHANGEFS select entity DO IT type solid)

If all that fails, why not send the file ? I'll look at it tomorrow (it's 11pm here) or somedody else might do it.

JdR
  • This is the kind of thing I'm trying to fill...
  • You had some duplicates line.
    Luckyly, those were in the Coast Line Style whereas the main lines are Solid Line Style.
    To get rid of the duplicates I did :
    ERA - Right click - More - Line Style - Type COAST - d or Right Click DO IT
    To "fill" the polygon first do Right Click EXPLODE (the dynamite icon) and select LINE TO PATH.
    You will probably have to change the fill style because it was set to solid so CHANGEFS, select your new polygon, DO IT prompt says New Fill Style [dialog] Right Click to get said dialog, Bitmap Fill, scroll down, OK and here you are.
    Attached is the modified file.

Getting a poly from a list of lines is always tricky but I learned that almost every oddity is due to duplicate lines...
    Have faith !

JdR
  • Thanks JdR. I'm down to just this one now. I can't see any dupes on any other layers / sheets. Any ideas?
  • edited April 2009
    Same kind of error here anyway.
    If you use the LIST command on your path, you will notice that every node happends four or more times.
    I suppose you used a LINE TO PATH command with a lot of duplicates...

Send you the corrected file asap.

JdR

Edit : was right. EXPLODE your line, you'll see that every line except the long one happends twice. Alas, this time there is no way to distinguish them but by their #number.
    You've got two choices :

a) EXPLODE ->LIST every segment using LIST->two lines, in each there's a "tag #" followed by numbers.->write down one of those two numbers->ERA ->#->the number->DO IT.
    It's time consuming but it keeps your original nodes.

b) Use the file below. I froze your layer and created a new JDRLAYER. Using LINE I sort of traced your polygon using the ENDPOINT (F5) modifier. I might have failed to get all the original nodes but to me it seams close enough.
    If you opt for this one, erase the old entities on the COAST layer, move my polygon to COAST layer and delete JDRLAYER.
  • I see what you mean. Thanks for your help.
  • Hint : you could fractalize (FRX) those lines before closing the polygon. At a smaller scale, more details might be in order...

JdR
  • Thanks

Just traced round it, its a small bit of land in the top corner. :o)
    How could I have got myself in such a mess?