Seme macro

Hi all,

I made a macro scattering trees in a boxed area.
Tree density is an average number of trees by square unit (default values might be changed to scale)
I used density vs tree number so that all forest are somehow similarly populated.
Max tree# is a foolproof against to many symbols (I'm the fool, I found the need for that the hard way)
You can choose between pine, decideous, mixed (pine/decid), snow caped and jungle trees but it is quite simple to add more to the code).

Trouble is, symbols must be in the symbol manager to operate. Didn't (yet ?) found a way to make it work without.

Some symbols will have to be erased to get a natural touch (I suppose most forests aren't box shape).

Along is the mtsy macro placing mountains symbols along a spline
(see Moutain macro )

Hope it might be useful...

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Here is a sample map I did using modified version of both macros.

Thanks for looking or adding,

JdR
  • Thanks for this. Randomness is a great way to break through creative blocks.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    This is very useful. The symbol filler, while it can perform this kind of function is really design to fill areas with forests, so getting it to what you are after is tricky. There are a couple of ways to deal with the catalog problem:
    1. Use SYMBOLC. This lets you specify a catalog, then place a symbol from it.
    2. CATALOG will open a catalog. Remember that # represents the CC3 path.
    3. Create a file which includes the symbols you want as part of the drawing (that is as references and not just definitions), then use PARTM to place that file somewhere in the current drawing. Then UNDO. The symbol definitions will now be part of the drawing.
  • Hello again Simon,

1.I tried this
    SYMBOLC #SYMBOLS\MAPS\CC3\VEGETATION.FSC;Decid Tree 1;vrSize;vrSize;0;varPOnEnt;

with and without ending semicolon, even tried with a blank line after but the command doesn't end.
    Any hint ?

2.I know of CATALOG, but it doesn't place any symbol in the manager...

3.That could be last resort. I also thought of creating a template where with the symbols already in the manager. It works but also means that I should edit all existing templates if I want more options...

Thanks a lot,
    JdR
    Where strings might include spaces, use a carriage return as a delimeter. Basically, if you can enter any string at the command prompt which includes a space (eg a file name) use a carriage return in the macro file.

So try this

SYMBOLC #SYMBOLS\MAPS\CC3\VEGETATION.FSC
    Decid Tree 1
    vrSize;vrSize;0;varPOnEnt;
  • edited April 2009
    Nope, sorry.

If I put it like this, the symbol is only recognised if already in the SManager.

In full line as in previous post, the symbol is correctly extracted from the catalog but the command doesn't end, ie it asks for more points to place the symbol to.

Funny eh?

JdR
    So SYMBOLC is bugged! An obscure bug, but I have added it to the list.
    The PARTM method is then the most reliable.
  • 23 days later
  • I have a question about the map shown in the picture above, what products did you use to make it. Like just CC3, or did you use any ad ons?
  • I used the Cartographer's Annual 2008 #20 Black and White and CC3 B&W vector symbols everything else is macro and CC3.