Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorFersus
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2019 edited

Hi folks!

I want to make a hex grid based battlemap that is still able to have nice rectangular buildings in it.

As you probably all know there is the following problem with that:

No matter how you go about mapping a rectangle on a hex grid, you will cut some hex tiles in half. for example like that:

I will adress the problem of half-hex tiles in another discussion. First I want to draw the walls exactly as shown in the picture. for that i would need some more grid points, so i can snap to the needed positions.

When i acivate all gridpoints in the overlay i get the black dots in the picture.

I also need the red dots, so i can align my rectangular buildings to the hex grid.

Is there any way to accomplish that?
      hex grid buildings problem.PNG
      given dots and needed dots.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2019

No, there is no way to set up a snap grid like that, at least not one I could figure out.

You can draw the lines you have in your example using the existing snap points, and then use the intersection modifier to precisely place nodes at the red spots of course, that will accomplish getting a perfect precision, but it is a lot of work, because you'll have to do that for every hex that would contain a node.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2019

Or you could draw a single hexagon, then an offset hexagon inside it the exact distance to the red spots inside it, then clone the red hexagon to all the hexagons on the grid.

That wouldn't give you spots, but it would give you a red hexagon that describes the position of the spots.

Or you could do that, then with the circle tool draw the spots on the corners of the offset hexagon using attach to attach them to the corners of the new hexagon, then copy the dots only and using the snap grid clone the set of spots to each grid hexagon.

(hope that makes sense)
    • CommentAuthorFersus
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2019

Thanks for the fast responses! So if I understand correctly I use the existing grid to draw the red helping lines once, and then I clone it to every other hex tile. How do I go about this cloning thing? Do you mean copy and pasting to all the other hexes? Using snap to be precise?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Yes. Clone = copy and paste.

But if you would prefer to have the spots instead of a second hexagon, you could draw the hexagon once, then place the spots on the corners of that hexagon, and copy only the spots and clone them instead, using the snap grid to position them quickly in each grid hexagon.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's an awful lot of spots floating around waiting to get confused with everything else, though, so in addition I would suggest that you create and clone them on the GRID layer so that they can be frozen with the grid.
    • CommentAuthorFersus

Ah, thank you! I'll try that!

As my grid will be about 20x30 hexes: is there any way to automate that?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Not really, but it shouldn't take long if you draw only one set of spots and then copy them all at the same time and paste them.

At least its not 200x300 :)
    • CommentAuthorFersus

If it was 200x300 i'd rather start learning macros ;) I will work on that an the weekend and will report back, thanks a lot!