Symbol developments

LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
As with the sister thread to this one called "Texture developments", this will be a thread where I roll ideas about new symbols around for comment.

first up - a mountain style I've been wanting to try for a while. The linework is atrocious, so this is only a concept drawing.

If you saw a set of mountains like this one (but better drawn) along with matching fills and symbols, would you be interested?

[Image_12812]

Comments

• Yes, and you, as usual, denigrate yourself too much. I like your line drawing - what do you dislike about it?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you, both! :)

Quenten - The linework is very rough compared to my pen on paper work. I can just about control where it goes despite drawing on a black slab on the desk while staring at the screen, but I can't seem to control the pressure (= line width) very well. It's incredibly sensitive, and my old hands are not such fine instruments as they once were!

This file is already 3.5GB while open in Krita, so you can see why I could never do it before now on the cripple (recently deceased) 4GB RAM laptop. Hence the lack of practice.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueIf you saw a set of mountains like this one (but better drawn) along with matching fills and symbols, would you be interested?
    You do realize that just about anything you can come up with will be of interest to at least a subset of the members here, right? There is no such thing as enough art, and with your talent, there will always be a nice big chunk of people that will love it (and as with everything in life, you can't please everyone, so you can safely ignore anyone who don't)
    Aw, thank you Remy! :)

I do listen to what people say, though.

I've done a different version of the same by hiding the colour layer. I wonder which one will be more popular?
    And I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this paintbrush thing I'm using! The second one looks a lot better line-wise to me.
  • seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    The fine nuances that seem to be glaringly obvious to you are unnoticeable to me.
    Thank you, seycyrus :)

I'm looking at them again and thinking I also did the shading better on the second one. Maybe that has the knock-on effect of making me feel happier with the linework there as well ;)
  • I like it. It looks like the mountains my imagination filled out when I was out on the ocean reading LotR.

Would be very interested.
    Thank you, Jim :) It might be a while. I've just spent the last hour erasing the shading on the third mountain, which I accidentally drew on the same layer as the inking! Argh! LOL!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Hard to check what is transparency and what has texture, but the effect is awesome. Just would like to see that mountain on a green background, for example.
    Eventually, Medio. I need to crack on with drawing the rest of the set the same way, or they won't match with each other. My style is very flexible. It means I can do all kinds of really different stuff, but on the other hand if I stop and try to continue tomorrow morning I probably won't be able to match the new mountains with the ones I did the day before. So its a race I can't leave off to experiment with stuff like that right now.

So far I've drawn 18, and shaded the first 6. I mean to finish shading the other 12 before I stop. That way at least 18 of them will look like they belong with each other.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    That pic is awesome! :)

That's a 12,000 pixel square image divided into 36 x 2000x2000 pixel squares - each to hold a mountain. I'm hoping that if I draw that many I will have enough to pick the best for a set and leave out any lame ones. This kind of project has only become possible in the last few days that I've had my new PC. It would just have been impossible to do them all at once in 36 individual files on the old laptop - not and maintain a consistent style throughout.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I just love the monochrome version of the symbols (colour is great too, but these are my favorite), but I'm wondering: are they semi-transparent? The problem with transparent or semi-transparent symbols in CC3+ is always that it's hard to layer them properly. Sorry, already thinking about a symbol catalog/style of these. :D
    Posted By: RalfI just love the monochrome version of the symbols (colour is great too, but these are my favorite), but I'm wondering: are they semi-transparent? The problem with transparent or semi-transparent symbols in CC3+ is always that it's hard to layer them properly. Sorry, already thinking about a symbol catalog/style of these. :D
    Aw thanks, Ralf :)

At the moment they are just lines and shading on a parchment background. I was intending to merge them with the parchment background and then cut sharp around the outline on top and fade it out at the base to use on the same background, or give them a white background (the monochrome style) similar to the existing black and white styles, so that they work the same way by blocking things behind them. I can do it differently if you would prefer - or several different ways so you could pick the style(s) you like best?

I was intending to start with the mountains, then add hills, trees, settlement symbols and fills etc, but I could diversify the mountain style first and then develop the rest of the set for each of the more popular ones.

There is no reason why I couldn't do two or three related styles.

The parchment background is a newly created version I did in GIMP now that I have the power to make really big images. Its currently 12,000 pixels square and doesn't tile, but I could make it tile at 3000 pixels square if you would like that as well - like the Beaumaris one.
    edited May 2019
    Ok so - the transparency having been mentioned a couple of times here and over on the FB page, I've done a few samples just to show how limitless the possibilities really are.

So far you've seen transparent with a parchment background. Now I've tried a bit more detail and colouring in that detail, then changing the 'blend mode' of the newly coloured in layer between things like Overlay, Gamma Dark, and Grain Extract/Merge. This is a small part of a single mountain, but it should give a better idea.

[Image_12822]
    [Image_12823]
    [Image_12824]
    [Image_12825]

All these things can be changed by a single click to change the layer Blend Mode. It depends what you want, really :)
  • These are wonderful. and I love the idea - do you mean the Sheet Blend Mode?
    Thank you, Quenten :)

This is Krita, so its layers, not sheets, but Krita layers (and most image editors like it, including PS) have blend modes. You can set a layer to any blend mode you like. Where comparisons with CC3 can be drawn - yes, Krita layers are equivalent to CC3 sheets, such that you can imagine the linework drawn on one sheet, the shading on another, the background on a third, and the colours on a fourth :)
    And here is the first proto-mountain symbol (minus the level of detail - just quickly filled in) alongside a couple of Schley mountains for comparison.

Its incredibly bad at the moment because its less than half done, and the transparent fringe needs to extend further beyond the ends of the lines, or the lines need trimming back. About the only thing that's right is the overall size. I intended them to be about the size of the larger mountains in the Schley set, which I used as a benchmark for the basic specs.
    Fred.JPG 132.5K
  • The one on the left gives a ruggedness look like it was new, just formed, from the continental crust.
    That's the half finished one of mine, Jim ;)

I don't think mine are going to mix with Schley's all that easily unless I warp it more towards his style somehow.

The question is - to warp, or not to warp...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Stick with making what you want to make. You seem to be making a full set of these anyway, no need to emulate existing styles.
    This is true.

As you can see there are fills as well. I expect that I will eventually do the whole thing - right down to the sea monsters :)
  • I would love to have a full set of these mountains!
    They are so rugged and nice, and i can see how the maps would look like with those.
    I'm looking forward to the first mountain that you feel hits the spot, with all the details you want.
    Thanks Grimmric :)

There are no hard and fast decisions just yet. Ralf like the B/W ones, others like the brightly coloured ones, and there are lots of different ideas buzzing around my head at the moment.

Meanwhile, I've just managed to crash the file! LOL!

No idea how that happened. It was only using 4GB of 32. Hmmmm. Maybe this is a limitation caused by Krita, and not my brand new sporty hardware.
  • No rush Loopysue
    Just as other people has said before me.
    Do it in your own time and as you want it to be.
    It is always better for the finished product. :)
    Very true, Grimmric.

I'm hoping to finish the mountains and hills over the next month. The rest may take longer. I have a course I have to attend for the next few months, but I will post the major milestone events in this thread as they happen.
    LOL!

This is quite a muddle. The shading is wrong, and I need to keep the thicker ink lines to the profile on each one, but mountain ranges have never happened overnight.
  • Posted By: LoopysueThat's the half finished one of mine, Jim ;)

I don't think mine are going to mix with Schley's all that easily unless I warp it more towards his style somehow.

The question is - to warp, or not to warp...
    What I mean is it looks freshly made, like a geat wizard decided to raise amountain up and build a fortress in it. It looks like a new mountain, before erosion started.