Text styles?

Hello all. As a new user, I would like to know is it possible to have text formatting styles that can be defined, saved, reused, etc.? At the moment I have to manually change every text object if I want to make a style change, never mind doing the same thing in related new or old maps that I want to have match.

Thanks!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The easiest way to do this, is to use KEEP on a text entity with the style you want (either one in the map, or one you've placed to the side of the map for that purpose). That will set all the current text properties to the one of the text piece you selected.

Any text you place afterwards will have these properties and you can use "Change Text Properties" on any number of existing text entities to set them accordingly.
  • So to do this quickly, it would be advisable (I assume) to have similar label texts on their own sheets? For example, if I wanted a particular style for water features, I could quickly select all of them at once by isolating the sheet, then change the property of them as you suggest?

Hopefully a future update will allow for defined text styles, similar to those for walls, floors, roads, etc. (For example, City Tier 1; City Tier 2; Country; Level 2 Admin; Major River; etc.) When the style is changed/updated, they would all change, provided a style was assigned. Alternately, perhaps particular text properties could be tied to a sheet effect?

Anyhow, thank you for the advice!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That's a good suggestion for implementing text styles for a map, we'll take it in consideration.

I would generally suggest to use Layers for organizing text labels in this way. Then you can simply "select by layer" to change all of one kind (you can't select directly by Sheet).
  • edited May 2019
    Ah, right! The sheet vs layers distinction is one I am still working through, but this makes sense. Thank you.

And please do consider the text styles idea. I use it with real-world GIS mapping, and it makes it really easy to have, as I said, different tiers of topographic features with different label styles that can be changed quickly on any given map. Symbols (for different sizes of cities, ruins, mills, wells, etc.) can also be set by style as well. For example, if a city is defined as "Tier 1 Capital" it will use a particular text style, but also have a red star in a circle as the symbol. If I needed to update that city as a Tier 2 Regional Capital (say due a a change of the capital to a new city), the text style and symbol would also update. This does mean that there is a database behind the map, which of course CC3+ does not have (nor am I asking for one), but similar effects could be done more simply with a easy style change.
  • Thats what I do. If a template doesn't have a text layer, I add it. And place all text on it. Easier to hide, change properties, etc.

If your text is a light color, and your background is a dark color, I suggest hiding everthing but text, freezing the rest of the layers, but allowing background to show. Until I started doing that, I found myself hunting for white text on a white map window. Not fun.