Reinstall/Repair Install Questions

I might be better asking this directly through tech support but thought I'd try here first in case my problem is something simple.

The hard drive on my new laptop failed and I just finished installing everything. I've experienced a few oddities during the installation and now have a problem. When installing the 2018 annual it required that I run the most recent update first. I ran update 21. No problems running the remaining installers.

After finishing the installation of everything, I reran update 21. It said "Your CC3+ folder seems to contain a version more recent than this update." I told it to install anyway.

Now, when I start CC3+ it is not active (the icon on the tool bar is flashing orange and the title bar is white). I have to click somewhere within the program to make it active.

My question is, what did I screw up and can I fix it without having to reinstall everything?

Second question, if I do a repair install of CC3+ do I also have to repair install all other add-ons?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The "not active" issue, does it just happen when you double click an .fcw file and open CC3+ that way, or does it also happen if you open it through the regular start menu shortcut?

If it is the former, I have exactly the same problem on multiple installations. I haven't really paid this any heed, and don't know a fix, just wanted to advice that since I experience it too, a simple reinstall will probably get you nowhere in regards to this.
  • Thanks Remy, the not active happens under both situations. Rather, I should say 'happened'.

I tried rerunning the update again...said that it could not find FCW32.mac. I aborted and CC3 icon disappeared from desktop.

OK, time to repair install. I do a repair and just before finishing it stops responding and does not seem to recover after waiting 10 minutes.

I just uninstalled and tried installing again. Again it stops responding near the end of installation and does not recover.

I think I'm just making things worse at this point. I think I'll go pull weeds from my flower garden before I throw this stupid laptop through the window. LOL. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I'm feeling less frustrated. :D
  • My firewall/anti-virus program has to be set to 'prompt', even if I have Run as Administrator for the install, otherwise it fails.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I completely agree on the frustration thing.

Today was the day my new PC arrived, and I had a problem with it from the outset.

In the end it was down to me and my lack of tech knowhow - solved by walking away from it to have a bit of a panic and a cry, then getting all logical and getting help like a sensible person.
  • Thanks JimP and Sue for the moral support. :)

Just in case someone comes across this in the future, I ended up starting from scratch by uninstalling all ProFantasy software, deleting the directories in the Programs(x86) and PragramData folders and removing the Evolution Computing entries from the registry. I can now install without a problem.

Also, FYI, it is the current Update 21 that causes the "not active" issue. Everything started fine until I ran the update. I will just ignore this and go about my business. :D
  • You're welcome. Sometimes I get it correct, and sometimes I do a face plant into concrete.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Glad you managed to sort it out in the end.

I'm still transferring data...
  • I am so glad your computer worked out in the end, Sue - I have been worried about you over it since I saw you message on FB.

I too have had that message, and just ignored it, with no problems. Maybe it had something to do with an experimental jig, that was labelled Update 22?