Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2019

Currently uploading all current bits to my web site, if you want to see what the levels look like together.

Uploading completed.

The web page that displays them all. Definately will load slowly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2019

What a fantastic piece of work, JIm
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2019

Huge!

Congratulations. That's quite an achievement :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2019

Thanks, but the bits on the left of the last map need work. Not sure how to fix it, but I'll keep on keeping on.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019 edited

Here is the part of the map that is giving me problems. Partial png and the fcw.

I want it to look like a hole going down into the cave below.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019

Well it kind of already does, but the brown rocks are floating on top of the shadow. Maybe try another SYMBOLS sheet below those dark polygons to put them on?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019

Okay, I'll try that.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2019 edited

Jim, I'm a bit confused by the PNG, but I think the paler grey floor is meant to be the upper surface, with the darker grey and pale brown areas the floor of the lower cave, on which there's a series of black cracks, the brown and grey boulder falls, and one complete skeleton. Is that right?

If so, you need to tweak one of the black cracks and the position of the second complete skeleton on the PNG image to have them end up partly hidden by the pale grey (upper) floor, aside from tinkering with the boulder shadows as Sue said. I think you also need to adjust the boulder shadows for the grey strewnfields, and probably add more boulders to these, assuming they're meant to show a partial cave-in to the lower cave floor. (Or if the skeleton's meant to be on the upper floor - as another is, I appreciate - move it so it's not partly overhanging the fall. You might try resizing the skeleton on the brown cave floor if that's right, to try to "force" the perspective more, and make it seem like it's further away.)

While I expect there'll be better examples elsewhere that I can't now recall, I tried doing something like this, showing wall collapses into lower areas, for my Lost Temple of the Screaming Stars level of the Temple of the Unholy Dungeon in the Community Atlas. That took quite a bit of playing around to get everything to work satisfactorily using symbols on different sheets with different - sometimes no - shadow effects. I'm sure there must be more efficient ways of doing it, but as ever you go with what you know you can do!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2019

The skeletons aren't on the cave floor. I think getting rid of the shadows on those two rock piles might help. I'll play around with it this weekend and post an update later.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Looks like I'll have to break up the hole area into several sheets.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Still needs work.

But here is my partially implemented plan

Sheets
    floor4: smaller boulder symbols and a floor bitmap
    floors: a different floor bitmap
    floor2: larger boulder symbols
    floor3: cracked floor symbol
    symbols: skeletons

I need to move some things around, but here it is so far.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_03_12b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

That looks a lot more convincing.

How about putting an Edge Fade Inner effect on the edge of that shadow?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Here is the bit, and the entire map.

90% opacity on the inner edge fade. Also transparency.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_03_12b2.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_03_12ab.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Looks really good, Jim :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Can't wait till this extravaganza gets into the Atlas. You have done a marvellous job, Jim.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Thanks. My problem is I can visualize it, but not get the map to do what I visualize. But I have improved.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I think you've done it really well this time :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

updated part 3, and a preliminary part 4. Almost there.

And the total maps web page on my site above has been updated to.

Anyway.

The dwarves found this beautiful blue water. A visiting cleric said it was good to drink. But they found out years later that any dwarf coming here alone, never returned. No bones, no body, nothing to see or know where the dwarf coming here went to.

The brown walls and these passageways were put in after their decline had started. During the attacks, lone dwarves came here to get a drink of water. Did they go to some place good ? Some place evil ? Another dimension ? Why only dwarves who came here alone ? No one knows.

Updated part 3 first.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_03b2.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_04b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime5 days ago

The lone dwarves fell in and didn't have anyone to give them a hand back up the slippery sides?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Jim, can I suggest you put the water levels on 2 separate sheets with a Fade, inner edge on them, less for the first larger one than the inner smaller one.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime5 days ago

The collapse is looking a lot better now Jim; worth the extra effort, I think! Be nice to see how it flows into the rest of the cavern eventually.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I'll look into the water.

Thanks Wyvern.

As for the dwarves falling in, there should be bones and water containers left behind. Nothing like that there.

Lets see, combining the maps as requested, I get 11 maps. Sub-Level 3 is in 2 pieces.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Like this ?
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_04_05b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime4 days ago

reduce the Fade for the outer circle, but otherwise, yes.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Its at 80%, I'll reduce it down from there. The inner bit is gray 40 bmp.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

At 60% opacity for outer.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_04_06b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I think the outer edge needs to be better defined . Try reducing it to 10-20% and see if you like that better.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I have edge, fade inner. I didn't put outer on it.

I'll check on it later today.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime3 days ago edited

I see Outer Opacity on the Edge Fade, Inner. It was at 0%. I made it 20% and the water disappeared.

The above maps are Inner opacity 30% with Outer at 0%.

Here is what these maps are: Edge Fade, Inner; Edge width 3 units, Inner Opacity 70%, Outer Opacity 30%, map units, High quality.

I was looking more for a lip on the edge of the water. The current way it looks more like a puddle to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime3 days ago

To avoid water looking like a puddle, don't make the entire area see-through; leave inner opacity at 100%, and set the outer opacity quite low (~20%).
    Then make sure to set the edge width appropriately. Since your squares are 5', you'll need to use a value lower than that, probably 2-3.
    Same goes for the darker entity in the middle, but depending on exactly what fill still you used there, the inner opacity should be somewhere between 50% and 90% so you can see the water through it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Squares are 10 feet.

The darker area is to show depth. Its a 40% bmp.

I'll work on that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Shrank the water sheet so it is closer in size to the 40% bmp.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_04_08b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime3 days ago

I like this version :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Okay, thanks.

I have 3 levels as one map now. One map for each level.

I'll continue on with that. I would post them, but as 900 pixels wide, they would be a bit difficult to read/see.

I can put them up on my web site if anyone wants to look at them as one map per level. They would be 2000 pixels wide if I did this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Much better.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

Okay then. I'll start refining, numbering rooms, etc. for each level.

I'll post one or two of the all level maps to see how they look at 900 pixels... later today, or on Saturday, I'll add them to a page on my web site at 2000 pixels.

Lookout level.

Level 3, just below Lookout level, added.

Since there now only needs to be one compass and one scale per map, I'll be checking to see if I can add additional rooms and passageways in the freed up areas.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Lookout_allb.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Level03_allb.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Posted By: JimPSince there now only needs to be one compass and one scale per map, I'll be checking to see if I can add additional rooms and passageways in the freed up areas.
    Dwarf King: Why don't we build a new room right here. Rock seems solid, it is the perfect place for an extra forge
    Dwarf Engineer: Sorry Your Majesty, but we can't do that. We have to leave space for the cartographers to add a compass rose. Guild rules, no way around it.
    Dwarf King: oh.....

Great maps.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime20 hours ago edited

Haven't done much to these, no new rooms. I think my eyes need a break. Here are 3 levels for your enjoyment.

Not uploaded to my site in full size yet.

I am thinking they will need to be different resolutions to fix right, or something. Ground floor is the longest of the levels.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Level02_allb.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Level01_allb.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Ground_allb.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime18 hours ago

Very well organised.

Nicely done, Jim :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime15 hours ago

These are terrific, Jim - your magnum opus.