Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2019

Sub-level 4, part 1

Some of the dwarves went slowly mad. They became convinced that only semi-circular rooms could save them. Their only concession to the other dwarves was to make the room and passageway floors flat. They were doomed anyway.

The huge spiders liked the rooms, and moved in.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2019

I think I'll put Sub-Level 4 on hold as the Deadly Cave area can/should have a large effect on Sub-Level 4.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2019

Do you mean hemispherical?

Anyway! Lovely map, Jim :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2019 edited

That side view of yours would probably look better if you changed the mountain polygon to a smooth one (may result in some minor fine tuning of other elements).

It serves as a nice overview of the dungeon complex though, makes it much easier to see how everything is connected.

I am impressed by the number of great maps here, you are certainly giving me some job assembling all of this for the atlas :)
    It is easier to take all the maps from a single dungeon in one go, than to keep adding on though, so I still prefer to wait until you are done.

For future dungeons though, may I request that you map future levels as one long map per level instead of multiple parts, it saves me a lot of work in linking up everything back and forth (And the linking is one thing I cannot reuse between the .fcw version of the online version of the atlas). Remember you can still concentrate on one part at a time even if they are all on one long map instead of several separate ones.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

One long map certainly appeals. Like one of those strip maps showing a journey :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I can make the result one long map, but for my eyesight I'll have to make them in pieces. On my cell.

I'll try the lookout level this week and post it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2019 edited

Preliminary map of Lookout level of two maps joined as one.

I figure the easiest way to handle the map border and the background is to redraw them.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Lookout_all_001b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2019

It looks even better with them put together like that :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Soooo, I can forget the map border between them then ? Inquiring mind wants to know.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

From my point of view - yes, but I'm not a DM. I suppose it might be difficult to section them off again for games.

I don't know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes, get rid of the border. The layout looks much better
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2019

Really do look much better when put together, I immediately get a proper feel for the level.

As for the map border, as long as the corridors do line up perfectly, I would just have removed it and created a new outer border (quickest way of doing this is to use file --> Resize Drawing Area in the first map BEFORE pasting in the second one, this resizes the border, the screen around it and the background). Then you can either simply paste the content of the other map, or if you use Draw --> Insert File, simply delete the extra map border, screen and background that came with the second map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I always used what would fit on a 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper, makes it easier to have the room descriptions on a facing sheet of paper. Easier for me to read to.

But I'll continue with this and combine them.

Making a brand new border did cross my mind, along with one larger background.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2019 edited

This is one of the reasons I don't like printing maps. Print puts such a limitation on the maps. And if you need it to scale, you have to deal with print margins, which conveniently are not the same for different printer models. And paper sizes are also a nightmare. What fits on your 8.5x11 don't fit my A4 pages. This is one of the reason I enjoy having a VTT solution for my games, even if we are all local in the same room, much easier to show what I need from the dungeon at the appropriate size. Zoom in when details are needed, zoom out for a complete overview.

CC3+ do have nice facilities for tiled prints though.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Back in the 1980s, I used the graph paper that was 18 x 24 large squares. Each large square had 25, in a 5x5 configuration, in each large square.

I decided to use a scale of 10 feet per large square. I drew the maps out, and placed them on a table to get the overall idea of each dungeon/level.

So the 3-ring binder would be the back of one page of descriptions, on the facing page would be the graph paper.

Thats why I did what I did.

While I would prefer to draw them at the current mething, I'll go back and redraw them as one map per level.

Note that sub-level 3 is in 2 pieces.

The cave, still thinking on this, might/could be more than one level. I am looking at a base color background, and then using shades of gray, and/or lighter bitmap fills of a similar color to show depth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2019

Ah, you take me back. While I weren't involved in RPG's as early as you, I still remember mapping on graph paper and handwritten notes.

Posted By: JimPWhile I would prefer to draw them at the current mething, I'll go back and redraw them as one map per level.
    Don't feel that you have to. It was only a suggestion, and I was mainly thinking of future maps, I don't really want to give you extra work. And these are your maps, so you can of course make them exactly the way you want to.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2019 edited

You are tooo late. :-) Okay, I'll continue my way; however, I think the Deadly Cave should be one map.

Preliminary Deadly cave map. Suggestions desperately needed. That is muddy waters in the bottom level.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Caveb.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2019 edited

I think I made it too small. On the side view it covers a length that is about 1.5 lengths of the other map parts.

Made the cave map 450 x 300. The other maps are 300 x 240. I scaled them on my levels page, not uploaded to my site yet, to the same height and width.

For some reason the cave map is the same length as the Sub-Level 4 map just above it, when it is 150 longer.

Updated maps/levels uploaded to my Alpha site.

What did I do wrong ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2019

I guess you exported them using the same export settings? They're not scaled to map size.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2019

I did that. But I can display them on my site as different. I am using width and height to shrink them on the page I linked to. The png is still 2000 pixels wide.

So on the levels html page I used larger height and width percentages than the other maps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

So on the levels html page I used larger height and width percentages than the other maps.
    According to the source code of your page, you've used exactly the same width and height settings for it as the other maps, which would explain why they display as the same size.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I changed it on my computer, haven't uploaded it yet. And I decided to redo the map at 1000 x 800 instead of 450 x 300.

Sorry, forgot to mention that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Exported at 1000 pixels instead of 900. Lots more to add like debris and water.

Rather preliminary.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Caveb2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Added more depth to the pits. And added water. Of course, the two 'water pools' lower right could be eyes.

Probably add more rock piles so adventurers will have to descend into the pits to go around the rocks.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Caveb3.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2019 edited

Down in the depths, a light glows.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Caveb4.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2019

I really like this map, Jim :)

You've got the levels sorted out with some really nice effects.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2019

I used the basic bitmap fill for I think sandy floor. And used the different transparencies of gray for the levels. Different types of water and a small light on the left.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2019

Done for now on Deadly Cave level. I'll compare it to Sub-Level 04, and see what connections need to be made.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Caveb.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's a really attractive map, Jim. I like the finishing touches.

Just one question. What's that green thing a bit below the word 'Deadly'? It looks like a locust at this resolution.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

It's a green bull. The bad guy's pet.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oooooh.

LOL!

I need new glasses!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2019

Well, the bull could be animate green fungi in the shape of a bull, I haven't decided yet.

And at this scale it is rather tiny. I could make it bigger.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019

Love how you did the cave! This entire dungeon complex is fantastic. Great work as always JimP!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I think we can safely say that Jim is our Dungeon Master
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh dear. My oranges have exploded... I have no clue what that means.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019 edited

I was tired from hours trying to get two cell phones upgraded. ( Relatives, not mine. Stil lexhausting as we went back and forth between two stores. )

Anyway, this is a construction in progress. Sub-level 4, part 01 is superimposed on top of the Deadly Cave map.

I'll use this as a guide, map, something, to determine where the hole in sub-level 4 is located.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Cave_00015b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Sub-level 4, part 2 added. Might come up through this part's floor and from the two lakes below the next level.

Lakes ? Yes, vertical lakes. The two 'small pond' areas you see in the Deadly Cave are just the top areas. This is the lower right two water areas.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Cave_00017b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2019 edited

And here is Sub-Level 4, Part 2.

And the pile of rock debris the digging to get up to Sub-Level 04, part 2 caused.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub04_02b.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_Deadly_Caveb2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2019

Looks good, Jim :)

I have some difficulty following how all these separate images relate to one another despite your descriptions. Are you going to do another joined-up map?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2019

The large pile of rocks is how the bad guys got up to Sub-Level 4, part 2.

Part 1 is always south end of the level. Deadly Cave has only one part.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

As requested by those following this thread, I'll be making my final fcws for each level as joined maps. Note that sub-level 3 is in 2 parts, those wont be joined.

Still working on ideas for sub-level 4

I might map the two vertical lakes, that show up on the Deadly Cave level as ponds. Not sure how I am going to do that though.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

Forgot to mention that when I map one map per level, sub-level 3 being the exception, I'll redo the background instead of stretching it via the node editing tools. Click click in stead of struggle, struggle, maybe they match.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime4 days ago

You could use a drawing tool to trace around them all?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

The backgrounds are rectangular, so just the square/rectangle tool with the correct background would do it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Computer wouldn't do anything this morning. I moved the power plug to another socket on my uniterruptible power supply, and the computer came right up.

So now I have to buy a new UPS.

And hopefully do some work on Sub-level 4 this weekend.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime1 day ago

You do seem to be having an unfair share of breakdowns, Jim.

Lets hope the trend evens out and you get some more reliable hardware next time.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime17 hours ago

Well, I bought what I thought was a desktop computer. But its a laptop in a small form desktop case. The best I can do for it is add more memory which I'm at 8 gigs now. To add a small video card, I have to get a 90w power adapter as the 65w one that came with it wont handle that.

The UPS is around 10 years old, so I can see a socket going out on it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime16 hours ago

I am surprised it runs Windows properly. That's a lot older than my recently deceased laptop, which was only 3 years old when MS decided to kill all such HP machines with their wretched Creators update.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime13 hours ago

My computer is less than 5 years old. Bought it after I moved. That Creators update caused me no end of problems. It was dumb and I had no use for it as I have Profantasy's software which does what I need.