Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2019

Back to mapping. Upload hopefully today, Monday.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2019

update on Sub-Level 01, Part 01. Hopefully part 02 later today.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub01_01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2019 edited

Preliminary Sub-level 01, part 02. Note The Toxic Room. Could this have been their real downfall ? The monster from the cave just wanted tghem to clean it up because it was leaking onto him ?

Maybe, maybe not. Oh, lots of secret doors on this map. More work to be done.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub01_02b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2019

I'm not sure that chequered pattern works very well with the walls, but otherwise great work :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2019

The Dwarves hired a tile expert. He started, said he had to go back to get more tile, and never returned. Not returning might be due to reports of a dragon down river from this location. So they hired a local to teach the kids tile making and they continued to tile the walls of their abode.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Preliminary sub-level 01, part 03. This has several secret doors. Dwarves hiding things from the other dwarves by magic, special runes, paranoia. Could this be an influence of the Evil down below in the cave ? Food, clothes, weapons, and armor. A very bad idea.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub01_03b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Interesting shapes there, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2019

Convoluted passageways make for better defenses. Or they don't. My players didn't like them when I used them, but they were more careful due to traps being there.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I would be more suspicious of a dead straight corridor. No kinks? Got to be a thousand traps ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is the trick with long corridors. Bullseye lanyerns in ad&d had an 80 foot range. Put an opening about 100 feet down that corridor. The charactewrs wont see it from 100 feet away. When the character party gets to 80 feet from that opening, they will see it. Maybe a dim view of it from 90' down to 80' A boulder or metal wall closes their retreat off.

Now, the side room/corridor could have nothing in it, a weak force, or a strong force of monsters.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2019 edited

No doors or easily used doors, taking adventurers around the two secret areas that could have treasure ni them. Two large chests opened, one small one still there. Looks like the last party through here lost some members.

Looks like the shadows on the wood, etc. need to be reduced.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub01_03b2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2019

That has lead me to wondering that if every DM marked where every player ever lost a life on each map, if the floor in any map would be visible for the bones!

Still don't like the tile walls, but that's probably just me. Otherwise a nice map :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2019

Those are the remains of the poor dwarves.

There are dead adventurers in B1 Quasqueton module from TSR. The first dead being the player characers see. A small group that didn't make it much past the entrance.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2019 edited

More to Sub-Level 01, Part 02.

The 'last defenses' should be more like 'last defenses for this level', but I didn't want to clutter up the map.

Not sure what I'll put in the three connected rooms center over to the right side of this map. Maybe just leave them empty of all but dust.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub01_02b2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ick! That green goo looks really horrible...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Its a toxic waste dump. Might have irritated the evil down below.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019

Ah, here is where my maps left off. I will try and get some uploaded today or Thursday.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019

very preliminary map for Sub-Level 02, Part 01. I made some mistakes on Sub-Level 01 which I'll correct later.

Starting to show more rot. A large circular room with fallen columns, and apparently killed due to rocks and columns falling.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub02_01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2019

Update on Sub-Level 02 Part 1
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub02_01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2019

The second version with the effects on looks a lot better :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2019

Thanks.

This sub-level will start to show more deterioration due to battles and less construction and more taking advantage of what was already there.

Looking for caves to save labor may be what woke up the balrog-type demon down below. Familiar/similar, but these dwarves aren't looking for mithril.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2019

Close to the final for this part. On to the next map. More caves in the second one.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub02_01b2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Wow, Jim!

You did that really well. It looks really great :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thank you. This level and below will show more battle areas.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I love the way you've added these signs that others have been here before the current players ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2019

Gives them something to worry about.

Sub-level 02, part 02.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub02_02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2019 edited

Part 3 of Sub-Level 02. Preliminary map.

A last stand.

edit: updated map.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub02_03b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2019

Hmmm. I think I would have erected the barricade in a D-ring with my back to the wall between the two entrances, so that I could leap over it and down the other exit when the attack arrived.

Nice mapping, though :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, these dwarves did lose so I can't make their defenses too good.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Good point! :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2019

My Win 10 computer failed Friday evening. I do have some backups, but not recent ones, for these maps. I'm tired today and wont be rebuilding my Win 10 computer. I am currently on my Win 7 computer.

I can get here, but not map... I'll make the next map when I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Sorry to hear that. Loosing work is incredible irritating.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh Jim!

That's very sad news :(
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The second restore point fixed it. But I'll have to reinstall a few things like this month's Annual issue. No problem.

Before I do anything else, backups, etc. wil ltake place. So it will be a day or so.

Later.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Make sure you know what caused it, so it doesn't happen again.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2019

I do, flaky power switch broke a config file as I tried to get this computer to boot up. Everything seems fine today. All work yesterday means I play Everquest II today.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2019 edited

Sub level 03 is in 2 parts. This is part A. Note the cistern room has no secret passageways to any other room, more rooms may be added later, and any enemy holding the passageway cuts off water to anyone defending the stairs. Since Part B extends past Sub-Level 02, it will have 2 parts.

The crooked passage is a good idea easy to pick off attackers that rush around the corner, except the bad guys can build a seige engine like a ballista with a wood shield that can turn corners. The stair defenders wont be able to get spears, arrows, axes, etc. to go through the thick wood. But a small hole in the large shield can be opened and a ballista bolt fired at the leader of the defenders, or a spell cast onto them they have no defenses for.

Added more to the map.

Which do you think is better ?
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub03a_01b.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub03a_01b2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2019

I think I prefer the second one, but that's just me, and I'm not a DM ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2019

I am adding the cave attack route to both maps, but the second one shows just how close they were to making another path to their water supply. And they didn't spot it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2019

Shadows on the symbols needs work, but I like this map otherwise.

Bad defenses, some good defenses. Those large skeletons, the creatures must have been able to squeeze down those narrow passageways. Could they be Gigantic Rats ?
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub03a_01b3.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Ouch, if that is the case, I hope they had a gigantic cat. I've seen the cats here come back with some pretty large rats, but nothing like that :)

Map looks great, but you may want to consider merging those wall segments, some of the corners on those protruding short corridors looks weird.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yeah, I had end wall set on them. Snap was off, but it looks like it snapped anyway. I typically use the node edit tools to stretch one, and the copy it to the other end of rooms. I used the Corridor tool to make them, but it does the same on room tool.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

How weird. It's as if you used the single straight line tool to draw them instead of the continuous straight line tool (if you were drawing them by hand, I mean)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2019 edited

Okay, preliminary maps for Part 3B, two of them.

I am not certain what to do with the big empty area in Part 02. 1) leave it ? 2) cave ? 3) more rooms ?

Side view stacked maps.

3B Parts 01 and 02.
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub03b_01b.png
      ED_Rorial_Halls_sub03b_02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2019

Wanted to make a separate comment:

I have counted the maps made, and prospective maps, for this dungeon.

29, with 3 rest stops, and 1 sideview for a total of 33 maps.

Should I add some side maps for some of the levels ? Or just stick with the method I have used so far ?

I have been thinking of making the Death Cave have side areas not mapped but hinted at. What do you think of that ?

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

JimP, whatever you think best. I like the idea about the Death Cave though.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ah, but if you hint at them someone will surely come along and demand a map for all those other invisible bits...

Like Quenten says - up to you :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Actually, I think you need to add another 666 levels, each with 666 side levels.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2019 edited

Too many levels, I would never get done.

As for map side hints, well, they will be hints. Maybe I'll add an overall map. Showing some level, and rumors of maps off to one side in the same mountain.

Hope to get Sub Level 4 started today. Not necessarily posted today.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2019

Updated side view with some trees added. Dungeon levels not changed.
      Rorial_Halls_sideviewb.png