Roads with sidewalks

Hey fellow cartographers, what's the best way to create a modern city road with sidewalks in city designer? I can't figure out a way to make a road, with sidewalks, that the housing alignment tool will follow and that will handle the sidewalks correctly upon intersection (ie. sidewalk stops at the intersection).

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Comments

• I am hosting a modern house, with sidewalks, for another CC user.

Just looking at the jpg, he used a brown line with width for the sidewalk.

Tana's Place Jpg and the page also contains a zip of the fcw file.
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited April 2019
    If you want some information on the standards for modern city streets you should check out the Urban Street Design Guide published by the National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO). I just discovered it but it appears to have everything needed. You might need to tweak the standards a bit to produce a gameable map.
  • I've often found it useful to just find a similar spot in Google maps and zoom in as close a possible on the satellite photo, and use that as a guide.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    I don't use the tools that much but what I would suggest is first draw the roads the way you want.
    Then use the house tool to set the houses. (You can change the street width setting to make it wider)
    When you have the houses and street set, on a new sheet add the Sidewalk. You can use the offset command on the road to get the sidewalk to follow the road. Add a bit of a bevel to show the curb on the road.
    Unfortunately this will not be perfect and you will need to do editing, how much will really depend on the scale of your city map.
    If it is a battle map scale you might as well draw it out, if it is a road map, don't bother.
    Hope this helps