Performance help

I just built a new rig i7-6700 Intel chip with a GTX 1660 Ti video card and 16 gigs or ram. When I zoom in and out it takes enough time that the cursor spins. Is this a normal issue or is there something I need to tweak on my system?

Thank you in advance!
Richard

Comments

• RelytRelyt Traveler
    Unfortunately this program is currently 32 bit (although I heard they are aiming for 64bit in CC4) what that means is it can only see 4GB of your RAM and I think that it can’t fully utilize your processor either. CC3+ doesn’t really use your graphics card either. So basically there is nothing you can beef up on your system to speed things up.

I currently have an i7-3770, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 770 and I only really have hangs with a lot of effects turned on.

Are you having trouble with effects turned off or only when turned on? How many sheet effects do you have on and are you using any blurring effects (those are more taxing on the program)?

I also find that if I have effects turned on it’s better to zoom to extents and then zoom window as it only has to redraw twice as opposed to each zoom level and scroll.
  • Thank you Relyt! To be honest I am doing the map tutorial in the Tome of Ultimate. All I have is the sea, island, and coast water drawn. It is just choppy when I try to zoom in or out. It does it in increments. I can work with it but I draw in autocad and it runs flawlessly.
  • Relyt Thank you I did not see the zoom options! You rock! Thank you so much! Much better to move around with that!
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    I've been using this program for years now and you are coming from a (I'm assuming) modern 64 bit CAD so we may be experiencing the same thing but have very different perspectives, but if it is getting ridiculously bad there may be something else going on. It shouldn't be too bad with the example map in the Tome. It can help to turn effects off as you draw and just turn them on when dialing them in.

The Tome is an awesome resource to go through, when you are done you will know the in and outs of the program, I'm sure your Auto-CAD background is going to help immensely as well.