Comments

• Sue, as a hint to get rid of the coastline separate from the land mass, I delete the coastline sheet, and put an Outer glow colour 66, with appropriate range for % of Map size, and a very low blur. Stops horrid artefacts if you have a bit too much 'bendiness' (an ancient Gaelic word meaning bendiness). Same for lakes. Of course you may have already done this..
    As you may have noticed, unlike the ravers of HW style, I really love Mike Schley style, then Jon Roberts (only problem with the latter is far too few symbols)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Missing rivers but going great so far!
  • I like the roads, and also the size of font for the cities - it is in keeping with the map size. I also love the frame - simple, effective, and eminently suitable for using myself one day. Love it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you Quenten and Medio :)

Medio - Most of the rivers wouldn't show at this scale. Its not very much smaller than Africa in terms of area. In order to get my PC to agree to let me make this map I shrank it right down to only 1/37th original size after export from FT3. I think I might have set the default symbol scale a little on the large side. I'll have a look at that - and then the reason for the lack of thousands of lesser rivers might look a lot more obvious.

Quenten - LOL! I already deleted the coastline. Although I prefer my larger scale maps to have a natural looking coast with sandy beaches and sometimes even waves and so on, when I'm using this style, and especially at such small scale, I prefer to have a clearly cut coastline. It's a glow from the land, and it doesn't seem t have any of those angular problems you mentioned, but I might tone it down a bit. As you know - Mike Schley is not the style that appeals to my inner mapping monkey. I'm much more comfortable with Herwin Wielink. It was the HW style that caught my attention and caused me to choose CC3 over other apps when I first got into mapping

I need to do both styles to prepare a tutorial on some of the weird combinations of sheet effects I've used, so I decided to make the map that would be hardest for me to make first.
    I forgot to say, Quenten - that border is a rectangle of the gold leaf fill in my parchment collection available free (I think) as one of the bonus issues. Line width set greater than zero so it comes out as a frame. There's a lighted bevel effect on it as well.
    Thank you! :)

There's also a dark glow on it.

(I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on!)
  • Better than mine - it is glued on - every night. :D
    :O

I went past the stage where you walk into a room and forget why you came in there. I'm onto the stage where (when by a process of deduction I remember what it was that I wanted), I realise it was the wrong room anyway! LOL!

If I'm listening to an audiobook I quite often put the sugar in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard. I have to check where everything ended up before I go to bed and the milk goes sour.

Part of the reason I have a pretty deep burn on my hand at the moment is because I answered the phone and forgot I had toast under the grill. Then I panicked and fished it out with my bare hand before it set the flat on fire. So here I sit - wishing I'd thought to find the fish slice to get it out, but then... would I have got it out in time if I'd faffed around finding the fish slice, which (like the milk and the sugar) was probably in entirely the wrong place at the time anyway :P
    Yes, ok.

Now where did I put the computer? :)
    Oh yes! Thanks Quenten :)
    I can take consolation from the fact that no matter how bad I am I've never blown up the kettle.

One of my friends once put one of those old fashioned stove kettles on a modern hot plate and forgot about it - another phone call - from me, actually. Apparently he turned around while he was walking up and down the front room chatting away about this rug he'd just bought, and caught sight of this weird orange glow around the crack in the kitchen door. Couldn't think what it was for a split second and went all quiet on me. What's the matter? I asked. Then there was a lot of crashing and cursing.

He described the scene in the kitchen as a nuclear meltdown - one kitchen chocked with swirling steam lit by the glow of the melting kettle. He switched off the plate and opened the windows, then retreated.

I couldn't stop laughing!

Little did I know that 20 years later I'd be just as dangerous! LOL!
    edited April 2019
    I've finished it now.

I made the symbol scale smaller and re-did the mountains and forests to give a better impression of the size of the continent.

[Image_12679]

The larger image is here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=43960&p=398884#post398884
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Two things though!

1- forests in southern island are bigger than in continent.
    2- Lack of rivers - if scale doesn´t show up them (weird, big rivers can be seen at space), then why roads do? I guess that´s a caracterization of the map.

Apart from that... love it! ;)
    Thank you, Medio :)

LOL! I was wondering who would spot the giant trees on Gist. It was a mistake at first, but then I decided that Gist was a magic place where everything would be twice the normal size - one of the islands of Gulliver's Travels perhaps.

You're right about the roads and no rivers balance, but then again if everything was absolutely to scale they would be threadlike, and the rest would all be solid colours without texture. Orrin is also pretty dry for the most part. It's only really wet enough for rivers where the water bursts out of the edge of the desert aquifer and forms the Brightfen area in the north - which is where I've drawn them. The lakes fill with wet season runoff from the mountains, and dry out to half that size in the dry season. In fact the water course linking them together can end up running inland in the dry season where the springs at the edge of the desert continue to flow all year around.
  • Pretty map, Sue. I love the palette. You really do amaze me :)
    Thanks, Lorelei :)

I'm highly sensitive to colour. This one doesn't entirely 'do it' for me since I don't really like pink that much, but funnily enough I was thinking of you and how you don't like yellow deserts when I was deciding what colour to do the desert - a very Australian desert :)
  • Perhaps a little redder, or ochre - we don't call it the Red Centre for nothing.
    And regardless of your previous comments, I too, find the lack of any rivers disturbing.
    Thank you Jim :D

Redder probably. I tried it redder, but with the rest of the colour scheme it just looked like a pool of blood. The Schley style is all about fresh bright pastel shades. I've bent it quite badly doing this map - made it darker and richer, but there's a breaking point beyond which it all just looks terrible (if it doesn't already) Mike would probably gasp in dismay if he saw it.
  • BTW, the photo above is of the famous (and now ineffective) rabbit proof fence - it does keep the rabbits confined to both sides though. ;). It is one of mine on our outback camping trip 3 years ago. And they had a fair bit of rain not long after.
    I have three rivers there - in the Brightfen region!

There just aren't any bigger than a stream anywhere else, and they are all much smaller than a road. There are also hundreds of roads that are too small to show, and hundreds of smaller towns and villages. The question is - where do you stop when you are doing a continental map? The streams and villages are for regional maps.
    You actually had a rabbit fence? OMG. They don't jump like roos. They dig!
  • Looks fabulous - in fact, I will have to invent a more superlative word, such as Loopiseuos, or the wonderful Italian words - bellisima, molto bellisima (expect Lorelei to jump in and correct me).
    Wow! That's a bit of a mouthful :P

But thank you very much :)
    Thank you so much, Quenten! I'm sorry but I don't have time to read all of that in detail before MS gets me and costs me a pretty packet in over the limit data allowances. I will read it and absorb the details, and download the images after 21st when I don't have to worry so much about Broadband costs.

Thank you! :D
  • Posted By: QuentenLooks fabulous - in fact, I will have to invent a more superlative word, such as Loopiseuos, or the wonderful Italian words - bellisima, molto bellisima (expect Lorelei to jump in and correct me).
    You're good, Aussie :)