Using the distance scale (in feet, miles, etc)

I'm trying to find the tutorial in the Tome, that explains how to set the distance scale. I want to use the scale to show distance in the regional map, and I remember there is a specific way to do it so that it's accurate, but I can't find the instructions on how to do it. Can someone refresh my memory on where to find it? Thanks!

Comments

• Hmmm... I'm not certain.

But. I think the scales that come with the template use snap.

I find that the scalebar I want to use, rarely matches as I typically don't use the one that comes with the template.

Here are my two methods.

method 1) place it, and then adjust the right click scale until it fits.

method 2) hold the symbol over the map, and adjust while using the ctrl key and the mouse to change the width of the symbol.

I'm all ears if there is a better way.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    As long as your map is scaled correctly in the first place, almost all overland scale bars are 100 map units (miles/km) in length when placed at symbol scale 1.0

If you need to, you can of course place it at a different symbol scale, just multiply the 100 by whatever symbol scale you use to get the correct size (For example, if you place it at symbol scale 2.0, it will be 200 map units.

Always place the scale bar using nice exact values for symbol scale (0.5, 1, 2, etc), NEVER scale it visually.

To find the information in the Tome, just search for Scale Bar. The exact instructions ar eon page 34 on the most recent release from a week ago.
  • Thanks, Remy! That's what I was looking for! I should have this finished in an hour or two, now. :)