New Pete Fenlon Style Map: Kingdom of Somerset

I'm a King Arthur Pendragon fan and I was tooling around with the Fenlon style and made a map of the Kingdom of Somerset for my home campaign.

I'd love some useful and friendly feedback on it. It's not finished, but I think you get the picture.

What kinds of finishing touch ups can I do to it?

Hope you like it.

David

Comments

• gull2112gull2112 Newcomer
    I'm pretty new to this CC3 thing. I have always thought Pete's maps were great ever since the early 80's with ICE. How do I get a hold of the template? BTW I hope some day I can render a Fenlon style map as well as you have done. Good job!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hi David, good work! I'd suggest to perhaps tone down the Blur a bit, especially on the text. Perhaps cut its size in half. You could also make the roads a little narrower, again perhaps half their width?

Gulll2112, The Fenlon-style is available as part of the Cartographer's Annual Vol 2 (2008).
  • Cool map, but I agree with Ralf, the blur effect is a bit strong.

I personnaly don't really like the forest tool, but that's in the mapping style, not your doing and if it's ok for you, it's ok :) It's to crowded to my taste and they are those irregular lines...
    I wonder if a simple smooth polygon with a drop shadow and a bitmap fill won't do the trick...

JdR
    Pardon my newbieness, but I have a question regarding the Pete Fenlon style map Annual instructions. On page 3, regarding ridges and gullies, it says to open the Escarpment command. I know I have seen this before, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to it now. Could somebody please tell me how to get to the Escrpment command box that is illustrated on Page 3 of the annual?

I'm really having fun with this and it is going to be a great addition to my campaign!
  • edited April 2009
    As it says on p3 of the annual, click Draw on the top menu bar, select Symbol Along.
    Or type ESC (return) in the command line on the bottom of the screen.
    You will see that the new windows is titled escarpment even if then menu command is Symbol Along.
    You then have to navigate to the CC3/Symbols/Maps/Pete Fenlon to select CA13 Ridge.FSC

JdR
    Thank you, everything works just as you instructed however, my hash marks are very far apart, I've changed each of the values in the % boxes and those don't seem to have any visible effect. Again, I am stymied, how do I get the hash marks grouped close together like in the sample on page 3?
    Never mind, I have fixed it. Sorry to be a bother.
  • Really nice work! I'd go with what many people advised and suggest you to tone down the blur a bit.
    On a side note, what is the font you used for the text? It looks very nice!