New blog post - XP Development

MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
I just posted a new blog post about getting started with XP development for CC3+.

This article will be the first in a series.

These articles won't be suitable for everyone obviously, but if software development is your thing, or something you want to make your thing, have a look.

Comments

• Apparently this isn't about experience points. This looks really cool.
  • Posted By: Autumn GettyApparently this isn't about experience points. This looks really cool.
    Use CC3+ long enough and you might level up!!!
  • Thanks Monsen for this tutorial.
    I wouldn't have asked you so many questions with such a good tutorial !

Looking for more :)
  • 1 month later
  • While I'm well aware you are probably very busy, having gone through the first tutorial recently I would really like to see the next one soon. The old XP Tutorials by L. Lee Saunders are somewhat useful but still a bit confusing. Your first tutorial covers the first two of his quite nicely and I look forward to your take on the others.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If everything goes according to plan, it will be out early June.

It will not be as long as the first one, as I needed to provide both the setup, and at least getting people started with some come, but for future article, I am going to tackle a single topic at a time.

I'm probably going to take things in a slightly different direction than Lee did though.
  • Well, as long as I can write some new macro commands by the end of them I'll be happy. ;) I realize that the macro language was never meant to be a full scale programming language (just a shortcut to repetitive mapping actions) but a few extra utility commands would be helpful, particularly for macro drawing tools. (You know, between scripts and macro drawing tools, one doesn't need to customize the main macro files at all. :-/)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2019
    Posted By: DaltonSpenceYou know, between scripts and macro drawing tools, one doesn't need to customize the main macrofilesat all
    Exactly. I try to avoid modifying it, sticking to scripts and tools. When I process maps for the community atlas, I have a separate symbol catalog I load up with several macro-only drawing tools in it for handling common actions.