Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019 edited

I think for caves, I should go with a cave Annual for at least one of them. This is a preliminary map.

Lets see. They were digging, and found a cave complex. So they decided to join the caves.

Odd these caves being here. They don't appear to have been made by water.

Even with Corridor C and B, they don't connect completely nor cut the cave wall. But I have been able to use trim and node edit to make them match better at the joins. As you can see in the middle long cave, one side of the corridor and its wall do connect. The other stops short.

I'm not sure if its trying for the cave or for the grid. I'll try with the grid hidden and frozen.

edit 3: Having grid hidden and frozen makes no difference.
      ED_cave01_006b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019

Any suggestions ?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

What kind of suggestions?

Furniture? Traps?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I really need some broken keep symbols, or I can draw over what I have on the map. Or a situation. Not precisely certain.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

While you are thinking about that, how about an glow effect set to inner on the floor to sink it back into the map?
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus

We should try to address the issue of why the corridor tool is not connecting properly/cutting the cave walls.

I have had this problem in the past, and i believe that sometimes the solution was that the caverns are not placed on the same sheet or perhaps layer as the "room tool" places them. The "corridor tool" was designed to work with the room tool, so you should take a careful look at which sheets and layers your cavern walls are located on. Compare that to where the walls are placed when using the room tool.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I think the walls of the caves are on the wall layer. So they should meet. I'll check into that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2019 edited

room 3) left side, I would like to put a tunnel and tunnel opening down to the next level. No idea on how to do it.

room 6) the bridge isn't necessary, a character can just go around the water. But if they cross the bridge, to get to the other side so to speak, there is a chance it will break, and plunge the character into deep water. Its depths are hidden in the shadows under the stone bridge.

Well, it would help to post the map to...
      ED_cave01_009b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019

I found a catacombs symbol I can use for the tunnel over to the next map.

Starting on the other map for this cave. Any suggestions, please post.

Room 9) last ditch stand. 12) contains several large urns.
      ED_cave01_011b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019 edited

Here are Cave 01, parts 1 and 2. They are on the same level.

My feeling is this would be a good site for another megadungeon. I'll let other folks look at that and see if they want to add to it.

I'm looking at a B&W style for the next one.

Whew. This is really stretching my mapping skills.
      ED_cave01_01b.png
      ED_cave01_02b.png
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019 edited

It seems that the issue with cutting cavern walls occurs when your corridor attaches to a non-flat section of the cavern wall. This is hard to avoid if your cavern wall is highly fractalized. There must be a way to quantify the problem.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019

The fractilization used is part of 'default cave'. I hardly ever add additional fractalization when its already there. But it cvould be, I agree, it doesn't work due to the fractalization.

It gets close though. So trimming and using the node commands to align things does work well enmough for this. Hope i got all the spelling problems, I bought a new cheap keyboard for my desktop. Keys are not all the same places. Well, the letters and numbers are.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2019

Maybe if you use the delete node tool to make an artificial straight bit where you want the corridor to cut?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2019 edited

Once or twice I tried that, the cave wall bounced around a large bit so I just stick with the Connect without a break on corridor, and adjust thinjgs from the place it goes.

Figure out next what I want to do in the way of effects...

edit: I'll look at it again when I get the chance.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is the text and the maps with effects.

Narganaban Mountain Cave 01 in 2 parts.

Part 01

1) entrance. The wall and towers were well built, but the monsters could gather forces out of site of the defenders.

2) The small keep was a recent addition, it didn't hold and all were lost.

3) debris and skulls. The attackers had fliers who went over the walls and took the defenders from dehind. A tunnel leads over to room 13.

4) an obvious trap door under a grate. Could there be hidden trap doors ?

5) an empty cave, marks on the floor.

6) a bridge across the small pond. It can collapse and drop a character into a deep hole hidden by the bridge. Safer to walk around. Fungi growing in the far end. Cracks in the stone floor nearby.

7) a small area, the defenders hoped it would give them a good field of fire against attackers. It didn't.

8) debris and skulls. Wood formed a last ditch defense, it didn't last. The water occasionally swirls for no apparent reason.

9) empty of all but dust and small rocks.

10) a defensive area ? Skulls, bones, and debris.

11) Wood debris at the entrance, it could have been a defense. Skulls and bones.

12) 10 large urns.

Part 02

13) A tunnel leads over to room 3. Dust all around, some mounds of it. Could the mounds of dust and ash...

14) Field of fire for the walls and towers.

15) Piles of dust and ash.

16) Small sparkles reflecting from some small items on the floor.

17) Piles of dust and ash.

18) 60' circle. Only room build by the inhabitants. Empty.
      ED_cave01_01b2.png
      ED_cave01_02b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Changing up template on cave 02. Using Annual Vandel Dwarves.
      ED_cave02_01_002b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2019 edited

Cave 01 submitted.

Lets rename it to 'New Home'. Nice, and it gives a feeling of a lost past.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2019

I was thinking of naming it Bastion Cave.

Any other suggestions ? After all, there are 15 more on this one map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2019 edited

A bit more detail. Extensive guard rooms. Portcullis and a small guard room with the controls. Passageways leading back to bunk rooms where more guards are located. A wall with towers, more will be added. Family areas, kitchens, etc. off this part of the map.
      ED_cave02_01_004b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think the Narganaban Mountain Cave glow on the cave floor is set to outside?

It might look better if you switch that to inside.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Looks gloomy to me... but I didn't really look at that before I turned it in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Putting it on the inside (perhaps not as strong as you have it at present, will give the impression of it being a floor surrounded by walls in a better way. Anyway, I'm glad you are going to try it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2019

The first sets of caves are now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution. 334 maps in the atlas now, that's just past the one-third point on the way to a 1000.

New Home 2
    New Home 1
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Great contribution, Jim :)

Don't worry about the glow thing - people can change it if they want to can't they ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yup. Onward !

This might be a busy week. Probably affect lots of things I do.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2019 edited

Bastion Cave. Anything more to be done ? I could connect the sinkhole to the kitchen... and that is their long gone water supply.

1) Guard room, controls a portcullis for entry.

2) Bastion Room. A) a stout wall and towers. B) Emergency defenses. Neither helped.

3 and 4) Guards' Quarters. The nicer chairs are for the seating of Dwarf Heroes. Nothing but bones and damaged items left.

5) Living quarters for their families. All gone.

6) Dining Hall.

7) Kitchen

8, 9, 10) store rooms for food.

Water had to be brought in as the seepage into the Bastion Cave became undrinkable.
      ED_cave02_01_006b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

These cave systems are thoroughly massive, Jim. They must be a very long way underground to be so huge without the roof caving in.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I believe this one is.

Number 3 is in a hill. The rooms will have to be smaller.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

More of those tricky little passageways to get through :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I made mazes in Dwarf Home. A section of about twenty 10' x 10' rooms. Not all had doors the player characters wanted to go. And one room had a teleport in it that sent characters to another room in the same maze. I got a kick out of it, but my players hated it.

This is all 'magic' and the roof can be thin... but I'll take into account the hill height.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2019

If you have any suggestions please let me know

The sinkholes have standard edge fade, inner.

Bastion Cave.

Water had to be brought in as the seepage into the Bastion Cave became undrinkable.

Various amounts of debris and skeletons in different rooms.

1) Guard room, controls a portcullis for entry.

2) Bastion Room. A) a stout wall and towers. B) Emergency defenses. Neither helped.

3 and 4) Guards' Quarters. The nicer chairs are for the seating of Dwarf Heroes. Nothing but bones and damaged items left.

5) Living quarters for their families. All gone.

6) Dining Hall.

7) Kitchen

8, 9, 10) store rooms for food.

11) A cave with sinkhole. Something came up out of the depths, and attacked the families first.
      ED_cave02_01_007b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2019 edited

Quenten, does this lake have a name ? The cave next to it is the next on the list I made. Number 6 I can make a name that refers to the words next to it. Or is that the name of the mountain ?

Thanks.
      cave03.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Preliminary map of cave 3, no name yet. This group came up with an easily findable cave full of traps to help handle attackers. Two obvious pits so they think they have already been sprung. The floor has a large number of pit traps, differing sizes and depths, to handle interlopers.

For some reason the room names are clear after effects, but the numbers aren't.

Put them on a different sheet ?

Suggestions welcome.
      ED_cave03_01_00006b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Lake Vilhalis. I am in the process of naming all the features for the Modern Political version
    The Mouth of Roriol is flanked by impressive, but semi-ruined statues of Dwarven Gods. The whole large complex is levels of dwarven halls (like Moria in LOTR), both up from the entry level and below. It was a dwarven kingdom, but a 'balrog' equivalent slew them all, and now rules a humanoid (?trogdolyte or other cave dwelling only critters) from his lair in the uttermost depths. I took Moria as my inspiration.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Interesting. My Dwarf Home is similarly based. But there are a few Dwarves still in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Perhaps use that as a basis for Mouth of Roriol? And sorry, I meant 2 huge trees, carved into likenesses of Dwarven Gods, a little like the trees in Game of Thrones
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay. I can make several levels for the Mouth one. The ones nearby would be outer defenses.

On my cell.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh. If I make stairways that are up in the air I may have to do them using Isometric. I don't know of any way else to portray them.

Or I can just use a descending stair symbol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2019

There are also ascending stairwells in the 'flat' style, both DD3 and SS4
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I was remembering the escape from the balrog in the movie, but I'll stick with the flat maps that you requested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

On my political Map of Elen Daelarion (not yet finished) the name of New Home is Teachnua, which is Gaelic for New Home (I have put both names on the map). Apart from a few caves, I would like you to name them, I will translate into Gaelic, with your name in brackets - see the progress map I have put up on the forum.
    I am so impressed by your dedication, and quality and imagination of your maps. Unfortunately, I have a mental block with dungeons.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thank you. I am a bit flabbergasted that people like my maps.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Cave 3, Dark Sadness

Any suggestions, please let me know.

Dark Sadness

1) A triangular cave: an obvious passage leads to a room full of traps. Number 2.

2) mostly circular room: About 60' x about 50' two large obvious pits. One with spikes and one with skulls. A few piles of wood debris as well. Those items are to get enemy forces to come into the room. There are several unmarked pits of various depths.

3) Defense 40' x 50' room with a 15' high wall with 3 towers. But only one stair going up to the top of the wall. No gate in the wall. Supplies and people are lifted via a long gone wood and rope crane.

4) Guard Room 40' x 30' Back up guard room. Some debris.

5) Quarters for the rest40' x 50' . Debris and a fireplace. Did the attackers come down the flue for the fireplace ?

6) Food and weapon storage 40' x 50' Debris is all that is left. Some rotted or fossilied food might be found here.

7) Dining and kitchen. 70' x 40' Two fireplaces and debris.
      ED_cave03_01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

preliminary cave 04, Great Outpost. This one will be 2 levels. Or should it be 3 ?

What are those two stone debris houses doing in there ? Last hope defenses.
      ED_cave04_01_003b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime5 days ago

You work fast, Jim. Like these (as per usual)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I'm thinking a cave lake below this level.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Dark Sadness submitted.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Great Outpost. No fireplaces to the outside for invaders to enter. They had never hear of dragons that could polymorph into a being small enough to get in through a normal passageway, nor did they check the water in the cave ( number 9 ) that they turned into a last stand.

Not all effects done.

Spiral stairs in room 4, right side of throne room, goes down to a small area blow.
      ED_cave04_01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Great work, Jim. I see you have already sorted out the effects on this one :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime3 days ago

The Dark Sadness cave is now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution.

Jim, I noticed that Bastion Cave from the previous page looks to be done, but I haven't received any files for it. An oversight, or are you still working on it?