Help, my circles aren't circular.

Good evening.

In the attached map there are 4 circular sections where the bottom raised floor and the opposite wall segment form arcs of a circle. I formed these shapes by creating a circle and cutting away the floor and wall segments appropriately.

After my first attempt it looked off, so I redid it and it still looks off. I then realized that this is because they ARE off. The walls have a thickness of .3, whereas the floor (of course) does not have a thickness, so the resultant arcs don't quite match up with each other.

1) Is my hypothesis correct? Or am I doing something else wrong? Or both?

2) Is there another way to do this so that the opposing circular arcs line up properly?

Comments

• taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    edited March 2019
    It's something of an optical illusion. If I drop the image into CorelDraw and draw a perfect circle over it, the outside part of the circle lines up perfectly with inside of the inner circle (see below).

I think it looks off because the outer part of the circle is thin, and lines up with the inner part of the much thicker inner part. You could try having it line up with the middle of the thicker portion, but that will probably look odd, too. Or you could try some sort of shaded line on the floor to complete the circle, but that will look odd, too.
  • I think it might look better if the corridor entered an exited in the middle of the circle instead of slightly offset. Maybe.
  • tustinoc and Grimmric are correct. Your circles are not off. What's 'off' is where the corredors run through them. Because they are off center, it gives the optical illusion that your circles aren't circular, but they are.

Of course, what is also adding to the illusion, is how the two 'walls' to the inside are slightly thicker than the wall on the outside. This also contributes to that optical illusion.

I like the overall effect, though! I think it looks great!