Dynamic lighting bug: Effects don’t render at high resolution

Alright I found another bug with dynamic lighting. It appears when putting out extremely high resolutions the lighting effects don’t render, no shadow over the map and no lights as if there was no point setup or point finalize. All other effects seem to be fine though.

I have narrowed the resolution this happens at to be in between 14,000x14,0000 and 15,000x15,000.
I have not tested to see about nonsquare resolutions as it takes some time to do this. Also of note changing the exportsetmppp does not seem to have any impact.

Is this something I should put a support ticket in for?

EDIT: I was wrong in my initial assessment exportsetmppp does impact this issue, the higher the exportsetmppp the lower the resolution this issue pops up at.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited March 2019
    Changing the EXPORTSETMPPP setting would have been my first suggestion. I have no idea other than that one, so it might be.

Give it another day at least if you can afford the time. You might get lucky, and it is Sunday morning right now ;)
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    It is Sunday, but it’s another work day for me (I get every other weekend off) so I’ll probably send a support ticket in when I get home but there’s a couple of people here who are knowledgeable about the deep inner workings of CC3+ so I thought I would see if they had some ideas.

I’m not too worried as I have narrowed down the max resolution to be in between 14,000 and 14,200, I make my maps 200 pixels per 5 foot square so my max is effectively 14,000 pixels (70 squares). And I can trim up the edges and rearrange some things to fit those dimensions.
    edited March 2019
    Are you exporting this map as separate squares, then?

That will be why EXPORTSETMPPP doesn't work.

You would have to export the whole map with a nice high number (an added zero) to the default EXPORTSETMPP

The render machine *might* not be seeing the objects that are emanating a glow that are just off the edge of the current scan if that setting is too low, but it absolutely will never see them if you export it piecemeal. It doesn't go looking off the edge of the piece you've told it to render.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Nope, I don’t export in sections as I can never get a seamless line up between tiles, if I was able to that would solve my troubles. The normal wall shadows render fine, just all effects within dynamic lighting are completely absent.

I knew I was going to have problems as I bumped up the size of this map to accommodate everything I envisioned. I normally (ever since learning about it) have my export set to 40,000,000 but for this map I bumped it down to 20,000,000 because CC3+ was giving me the not enough RAM error message, so I think I’m just hitting the RAM limitation for CC3+. I can’t wait for 64bit as I have 16gigs of ram and a quad core i7 (although it’s only 3rd gen) going to waste.

I’m doing a large manor and it’s surrounding grounds, perhaps I’ll upload my work so far when I get home.
    It would be lovely to see them, even if there are strange bands across the image:)
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    edited March 2019
    No banding issues just the dynamic lighting not working. Here is what it looks like at to high a resolution and what it's supposed to look like. Of course these are very low res and it is a work in progress, I'm currently rendering out the one I rearranged and trimmed down to fit into the 70x70 limitation.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    edited March 2019
    Okay, so I lied. I was able to bump up my exportsetmppp to 40000000 on my new sleeker map and the lights broke again, I turned it back down to 20000000 and it worked again. So I definitely think its an issue of running out of memory, I don't think the lighting effects are prioritized (not that's a bad thing, otherwise I imagine it would just give me the not enough RAM error).
    That's a great design, Rely :)

I think I prefer the daylight one myself.

Any progress with the banding issue?
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    There was never really banding issue, it just either rendered the dynamic lighting or didn’t. But I did get some thoughts from a very knowledgeable person (who decided to whisper, so I’ll respect that) that directed me to thinking it is a RAM shortage issue, and looking at the evidence that it happens at certain combinations of too high total image res and too high max pixel per pass export, and the fact I was playing right at the border of CC3+ giving me a not enough RAM error, I would have to totally agree. I no longer think this is a bug, just hitting the 32bit limit.

The design is based largely off of an old run down mansion in Pennsylvania Lynwood Hall.

I am using it primarily as a dungeon, I liked the design because it immediately splits off into 4 directions and it all kind of intertwines. I am going to be putting in an underground complex composed of a catacomb, sewer, and basement. Don’t worry there will be a day and night variant, I just got to make sure I can render out the night version.

Maybe I’ll do a proper build thread in a bit.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I hadn't intended for that communication to be a whisper, but I wrote the initial message and then realized that I needed to check on something before I put the information out there (I whispered it to myself so that I would remember). Then I had some things come up and didn't get back to it quickly and a kind moderator noticed that it was a whisper to me and changed the destination. No harm done, just unexpected.
    Relyt - if your whisperer was Joe Slayton, then the information is totally sound ;)

Looking forward to the WIP thread :)