Community Atlas; dungeon maps for Quenten

Here is the start of the first one. The green areas are grass and mold. Some rooms have cobblestone, some various kinds of rock floors. The water circular room, the stairs go down into the water. The right corridor entrance to the circular room is blocked by a porcullis.

Quenten, I'll let you decide where they should go. Let me know if I need to make changes.

Yeah, some floors are too regular...

Fixed the non-randomness of some of the floors. Would it look better in the water room if I used a light gray instead of the same water bitmap to cover the lower parts of the stairs ?

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2019
    Here it is, without doors and traps; except for room 2, and the portcullis in room 21 leading to room 2. Room 16 is easily found, small trasure. Its a distraction from rooms 14, 15, 17, and 18. I tend to number short passagways that have traps, or lead to rooms that have something going on in that location.

The passageway leading from outside, and room 1, could have mold and jellies in them; instead of just foliage growing in them.
  • Dungeon 1, for Quenten.

1) 60' x 60'. Mold, 2 debris piles. Bird guano. Maybe bat guano to. No door to the entrance. South exit has no door. South east exit has a reinforced wood door.

2) 60' circular room. Stone stairs go down into the water. A dead ? monster lies in the water. East entrance is blocked by a portcullis.

3) 40' x 40' a hidden room. Secret doors block seeing the open doorway, and the reinforced door, entrances.

4) 50' x 110' a castle wall, one tower. Water well behind the tower/wall.

5)

6) odd-shaped

7) 70' x 50' 3 pits, 2 have skeletons. One has a small chest. Another small chest in the northwest corner. The two treasures are of small value, its to discourage adventurers. Hopefully convincing them that there is nothing here work looking for.

8) 40' x 30' The spiral stairs lead down, or up. If up, they come out into a small cave overlooking the entrnce to this dungeon. A lookout. Of course, it could go down to another level, and up to the lookout.

9) 80' x 50' Secret door on east side. Nothing here. After 5 minutes a nonchalant whistling can be heard. The sound will drift around the room for a few minutes. Then stop. After 2 minutes, a durge plays for 5 minutes. Then all music stops.

And an updated map. I decided to go with a 10 bmp gray on top of the stairs and monster bones in room 2.

Why are the numbers all over the map ? I originally did it so players at my games couldn't guess what room they were in, if they accidently read my room notes.

There are cracks under the water in room 12. Not sure how to display them. Place them on top of the water and put a gray bmp on top of both ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    So, what did poor Quenten do this time that is so bad that you felt the need to construct a dungeon just to hold him? And will we ever see him again, or will he be trapped in there forever?
    Posted By: JimPThere are cracks under the water in room 12. Not sure how to display them. Place them on top of the water and put a gray bmp on top of both ?
    Put the water on a sheet with a slight transparency effect
  • Remy's suggestion about the water is a good one, perhaps with a small Edge fade, Inner as well.
    This could be an abandoned dwarven mine/dwelling? Perhaps a few descriptions to reflect this?
    Would be great as the first level of 1001 in the Jimpa cave on the Cultist map soon to be added to the Atlas (give me a day or 2)
    And thanks so much for taking up this job, Jim, I very much appreciate it (and so will many others)

And someone come and rescue me, I am stuck in this dungeon, battling mould with my misonidazole gun.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh... I think we'll wait just to see what you will do! :P

Nice going, Jim ;)
    edited April 2019
    No. Sillies. These are dungeons for the caves Quenten. set up.

Dwarf. Okay. I'll work on that.
  • Probably best if you exclude the 'false' numbers for the Atlas.
  • I checked the dungeons I submitted before, and they all have room numbers. But I can leave them off these maps.
  • Doubt it, but both do fly and drop guano downwards.
  • I meant to leave the numbers on the rooms, but not the numbers that don't relate to anything.
  • Some of the rooms I put the numbers by the rooms instead of in them. I want to add items in there and the room numbers would obscure that.
  • Okay. Not sure if I be able to do more this weekend, but I do have ideas for additional maps.
  • Quenten, and some of the rest of you, I was wondering. Doing mainly square and rectangular rooms would be boring...

My thought is, I would increase, on some of these maps, circular rooms of different diameters. Traps of water and pits in a number of ways.

Or should I stick with mostly square and rectangular rooms, with a few circular rooms ?

I also have an idea about descending parts of a single floor, but not sure how to implement that yet.

Thanks !
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I'm not a DM, but I would guess that variety would be good. It depends how much time you have :)

(and don't rush - we like you being fit and well, Jim ;) )
  • I'm okay. Temperatures dropped today. But I put on my jacket before leaving the house.
    edited March 2019
    Here are some examples from Ye Olde CC2 days. Early Dwarf Home maps. Some Stone Giants, and the human Magic-User who employs them live in this area.

So, I'll see if I can come up with something similar/different for your dungeons Quenten.

They come from Dwarf Home level 4:

level 4 thumbnails
    edited March 2019
    Here is another very basic example map. I had to make a construction layer, draw an arc, then use polygon to draw it in, and then use the various line tools to put in the walls.

The previous 3 maps were originally drawn with paper and pencil. Years later I bought CC2 and used them as drawing guides after I scanned them to bmp files.
  • These are all great Jim. i just love your dungeons, and imagination with them
  • Thanks. As you can see, I finally figured out how to do angled passageways. I think this is the first one I've posted here.
  • Jim, this is the write-up I have done for Berends waste, which is where Jimpa cave is.
    Berend’s Waste Region
    Berends Waste is well named, for not only is it a barren and arid land, dotted with tall solitary pines, half dead in appearance, stunted shrubs that crawl with nasty prickles and harbour deadly scorpions, with huge rocks thrown around as if by an ancient giant, but it is also the final resting place of the luckless explorer and amateur archaeologist, Sir Norbert Berend.
    But although it is so bleak and uninviting, certain ‘peoples’ do eke out a living here. In particular, there is the settlement of mangy huts and feasting halls of the Redfoam goblins, many of which hunt in small bands across the Wastes, particularly after the adders and lizards that seem to love this environment – even scorpions make a fine meal, after they have been specially treated. Ugh!
    In the mountains, near Hagen’s Column by an extraordinarily beautiful lake, is the entrance to the Halls of Brokagun. This is the under-mountain mansion of a slowly dwindling clan of black dwarves. They are extremely isolationist, and rather hostile to strangers. It is thought that because of their isolationist policies, paranoia, and dwindling numbers, that many abandoned areas deep below their living and working areas are now inhabited by fell denizens of the dark.
    And for the intrepid, foolhardy, and obviously suicidal adventurer, there are the infamous Jimpa caverns, once home to a side-branch of the Brokagun Dwarves, but now, long gone. Who know what treasures are there. Certainly there are dangers, because remarkably few have emerged from the dark entrance to the light of the world again.
    edited March 2019
    Copied and pasted text into my file for this dungeon.

General dwarf inhabitation and defenses on the current level and denizens on a level below ?

Or all denizens with some old defenses ?
  • For Jimpa Caves: Perhaps a small group of dwarves bunkered down (like Balin in Moria in LOTR) on a level between abandoned levels above and below - denizen-rich ones :D. The rest of the world thinks there are none left here (ie at Jimpa's caves, not Halls of Brokagun, which is still inhabited by plentiful, though dwindling, dwarves)
    edited March 2019
    Okay. Three levels for this one. Some survivors behind/within an underground redoubt. Denizens about. I may redo some of the posted level. I'll think it over. Also working on Dwarf Home and I think I have come up with some ideas 8th Dwarf Home that will work for this Jima cave.

On my cell.
  • Thank you.

I came up with an idea. Looking at DH 4J -09 room 443 above, if the arc across from the entrance passageway was a castle wall with towers, defenders could enfilade any bad guys coming into the room.
    edited March 2019
    Here is the transparency added so the skeletons and stairs can be seen under the water. 1000 pixels wide.
  • This is awesome Jim!

You really do make the best dungeons. :)