Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2019

I know ultimately I need to use the map I like the best for this but I am interested in opinions.

This one?
      The Nineteen Kingdoms 1.jpg
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43

or this one?
      The Nineteen Kingdoms 2.jpg
    In my opinion, its the first one.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

The first one is clearest.

How about a very tiny Edge Fade Inner sheet effect on those forests? The edges are very hard compared to the soft way the mountains blend into the background.
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43

I did add the edge fade inner and you were right. It looks much better. Thank you!
    • CommentAuthorSkidAce

I like the first one.

The fill on the trees looks more organic.
    I like the first one best, as others have said. That said, I think it depends on what information you're trying to convey. If I interpret it correctly, the second map allows more precision in depicting certain terrain types. If that's important to you, then the second map would be better. From a purely aesthetic and not utilitarian perspective, though, I prefer the first.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2019

I think the second map looks better. The forest fills are too harsh and distracting in the first one - as if they and their labels are the more important features, not the named lands. As already noted too, there's more terrain detail in the second map; in a weird way, it almost looks to me as if the second map is the first map, but with the Effects activated, or as if the first map was more of a trial run.

I notice too that you have three different water contours, but only two listed in the key. Maybe there should also be a distinction between the seas and inland waters (assuming the seas are meant as salt water, the inland waters as fresh, of course)?

Map needs a scale too, or will that be covered by the final grid (assuming the edge letters and numbers refer to a square grid across the map not shown here)?

You may need to rethink the size of the settlement symbols on the map, as at this zoomed-out scale, it's hard to say what's what, except for the cities, some of the castles and the one (?) tower.
    I prefer the second. The forests don't seem to fit in the first; that texture is much darker than anything else and the pattern is distracting.

The second, to me, is far more aesthetically pleasing. I'd want to spend a lot of time exploring it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2019

I particularly like the way you have taken the trouble to do a proper map key on both maps :)