Community Atlas - Ezrute - Dunor Region - Isendathing Region

Here is the first of three Dunor Valley maps, made so I can then do a trail Map from Rocky Valley to Isendathing.
The Isendathing region is dominated by a huge wood and stone complex, containing massive magic energies, and the focus of a dedicated temple complex and seminary of the Great Druids.

Comments

• Next, east of that is the Cultist region, dominated by the crazy Cult of the Eternal Maenads (think pack of female trumps), and a smuggling operation, along with several Gnoll settlements. And more caves for JimP
  • And finally, Berends Waste east of the Cultists - a barren land, but home to a fabulous dwarven kingdom - a very insular one.
    Oh, and Jimpa cave
  • I will leave these for a day or two, so you can tell me what needs to be added, subtracted or changed.
  • oooh great maps. I especially like the second one
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Nice ones, the style (which i cannot recognize btw) suits perfectly on what you tried to look like.
  • The style is Local maps, and I will reduce the size of the structures in the Isendathing map.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I also like the second one best, but all three are great :)
  • I also like the second one best. I will eventually do the whole of Dunor valley, with heaps of adventure hooks for players.
  • A pack of female trumps. That killed me.

These are good looking maps. I don't recognize the style. Which is it?

Also: I wondered how you did the cliffs on the shore. Did you just overlay cliffs over the shore, or is it a drawing tool?
  • Like all my Dunor Valley maps, I have used Local Area Maps, issue 104, Annual 9 (2015).
    The cliffs are just the cliff symbols from that annual laid over each other. I try to use as little from other packs as I can, since I like highlighting this style. I intend to do the whole valley like this, with lots of mini adventures in each, and hopefully at least 1 site in every map also mapped (by others I hope).
    Don't let those female trumps kill you - resist.
  • A cave named after me... so many caves, I could just clone one dungeon then ?
  • No, you must do a different unique dungeon for all 35 caves I have dotted around all my maps.
    BTW, I really loved your deigns of the dungeons in the latest contest - so clean, and easy to read. You got my vote for sure. Can you do more like this for my caves?
  • I'll look into it. Later part of the week I tend to get busy shopping, etc.

Same style, sure. They are easier to do than the Iso ones.
  • Have some free time, map or two in progress.
  • I really love how you do these maps. I think one of the things that fascinates me most is how populated you've made them. I originally pictured a couple of arctic/sub-arctic fishing and whaling villages on Ezrute. You've transformed it into an inhabitable continent. Cool stuff.
  • Thanks Shessar. I hope to do all Dunor valley in this style, but the next project is doing a strip map of the journey west from Rocky Valley to Isendathing.
  • Notes for the Berends Waste Region, for anyone interested.

Berend’s Waste Region
    Berends Waste is well named, for not only is it a barren and arid land, dotted with tall solitary pines, half dead in appearance, stunted shrubs that crawl with nasty prickles and harbour deadly scorpions, with huge rocks thrown around as if by an ancient giant, but it is also the final resting place of the luckless explorer and amateur archaeologist, Sir Norbert Berend.
    But although it is so bleak and uninviting, certain ‘peoples’ do eke out a living here. In particular, there is the settlement of mangy huts and feasting halls of the Redfoam goblins, many of which hunt in small bands across the Wastes, particularly after the adders and lizards that seem to love this environment – even scorpions make a fine meal, after they have been specially treated. Ugh!
    In the mountains, near Hagen’s Column by an extraordinarily beautiful lake, is the entrance to the Halls of Brokagun. This is the under-mountain mansion of a slowly dwindling clan of black dwarves. They are extremely isolationist, and rather hostile to strangers. It is thought that because of their isolationist policies, paranoia, and dwindling numbers, that many abandoned areas deep below their living and working areas are now inhabited by fell denizens of the dark.
    And for the intrepid, foolhardy, and obviously suicidal adventurer, there are the infamous Jimpa caverns, once home to a side-branch of the Brokagun Dwarves, but now, long gone. Who know what treasures are there. Certainly there are dangers, because remarkably few have emerged from the dark entrance to the light of the world again.
  • And the Cultist region.

Cultist Region
    Your Majesty,
    This windswept, almost treeless region, high cliffs bordering a rough rocky shore, rugged mountains to the east shielding the arid hinterland, is best known for the Cult of the Maenads of Eternity. They are regarded as dangerous, crazed, sadistic and very xenophobic – they even hate gnolls! Their ‘lair’ comprises a stepped pyramid, with various cult buildings, and a defensive tower. Rumours abound about the denizens of the below-ground structures which are definitely known to exist (from an escaped fellow tribesman of Okauyak). A ruined tower nearby bears the signature of their wrath – the dead still wail in the ruined halls.
    The road from Isendathing to the ‘civilized’ city of Dunor runs just inland from the coast, passing from Mt Knupfiez in the north, to Bundiltz in the south. Along the way is a welcoming sight for travellers – the Silver Leg Inn – set in a hollow on the bleak moors of Aradmin. I believe they are also a front for a smuggling and human slavery gang, and a little cove at the mouth of the only stream on the moors is most likely their beach-head.
    Further on towards Dunor City, a sorry sight of the fallen, broken and cast down monument of Lord Doggetage lies on the left – another triumph of the Okauyak Clan. And right where the road turn east are mysterious pillars of carved stone, representing a totally alien scenes – the Eternal Obelisks they are known as by others, or as we say, the Teeth of the Okauyaks.
    The area east of the mountains, on the verge of the Berend Waste, is inhabited by two other gnoll sites, the Ingilik clan and the shaminic settlement of Eskitor, on the very edge of the tundra. They are not likely to offer much competition for raids on the coastal area though.
    This finished my report, O King, and may our raiding be successful. Especially when that smuggler gang arrives again – then whoopee for the travellers in the Silver Leg Inn
    Your most humble servant,
    Gringroth Teeth Gnasher,
    Chief Scout.
  • Finally, the Isendathing notes

Isendathing Region
    Isendathing is a great focus of earth Power, exploited by many groups, and now under the benign control of the Shamans of Isenda, the local name for the Earth Deity. In their complex, there are seven bronze towers, with copper pediments, surrounding a henge of iron-rich rock, in turn surrounding a truncated pyramid of Silicon based rock, particularly sandstone. With their magic powers calling on the magnetic field below the complex, they are able to work many wonders of healing, defensive power, oracular powers and visions, and restoration of the land around. Thus, the area, despite fairly low rainfall and windswept aspect, has been kept fertile, allowing farms to prosper, the little village of Isendatown to grow, and orchards of fruit to yield bounteous crops of oranges and all types of citrus and stone fruits.
    Unfortunately, most trade is via the treacherous road to Dunor city to the south, as the coast is lined with cliffs, facing a rocky and wind-wracked sea, needing two huge beacons to mark a safe-ish entrance into a very small port just out of Isendatown.
    The site is well known, and the advice, as well as help, are sought out by many, for the Shamans have amassed a huge amount of lore, and have an excellent reputation as oracles.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Maps are now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution Quenten.

Berends Wastes Region
    Cultist Region
    Isendathing Region