Waves Edge Striping

Hello everyone. I was wondering if there was a way to get WAVES to appear as the edge striping lines. Every time I've tried, the program has transformed the waves into some sort of raster image lines, but I want the ACTUAL WAVES to come up as the edge striping. Something like this:

Comments

• P.S. If someone DOES know how, could you guys provide a waves raster image that would work. Something simple - the closer to the image above, the better. Thanks, as always.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited March 2019
    The Edge Striping filter takes the first line of the specified image and draws a pattern of pixels perpendicular to the coast using that line of pixels. Because it uses a 1D pattern, it can't replicate the 2D pattern that you're interested in. As Quenten suggests, one of the annuals has a similar effect.

You might be able to use CONTOURSM to draw an inflated version of your coastline that gets filled with a line bitmap fill pattern and then another, less inflated version of the coastline filled with the ocean pattern to get the outer elements (those two elements go on a sheet below your LAND sheet). Then an edge striping effect on the LAND sheet that uses a small image with just one spot on the right-hand side would give you that inner line.

The attached image uses what's called "programmer art" to show the idea, not as a final product.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Have you noticed how B&W Fantasy has basically the same overall style, but just in black and white instead of colour?

If you had your heart set on that coloured map and a semi-reasonable understanding of GIMP you could use the B&W Fantasy style to make the map and then colour it in GIMP.
  • jslayton and everyone else thanks for the help - but you could call me an idiot - I have absolutely no idea what most of that means. Could someone simplify what jslayton stated. It seems important, but, (so sorry about it) it just makes no sense to me. Anyone?
  • Also jslayton - could I be able to use the image that you used in your example. That would be nice. Thanks.
  • OK, ok, ok. I actually figured out what joe was saying, but now I don't understand how he got a transparent WAVES bitmap fill. The only fill I saw was a black and white waves. How do I get a transparent one? Does anyone have any available or something?
    I made one in an image-editing program and saved it as a transparent png file
    Then I made a new bitmap fill using that image
    I will try to remember to post the fill image when I get back to my computer in a few hours.
  • joe - thanks so much man
    your absence got me going, and for the last hour, I've been making a bunch of wave images on my image editing platform. Its really easy once you get the hang of it. Thanks again.
    Glad that I could help.