Pixelated text

Newbie here, so this might be obvious, but I can't find an answer in documentation.
When I add any TrueType text to a map, the characters are pixelated (especially clear with the V in the example).
The text keeps being equally pixelated no matter the resolution of the map when saved as bmp/jpg/png, and no matter the pixels per inch.
Does anyone know why this is, and how I can smooth it out?

I am on Windows 10 Home
CC3+ version: 3.90

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    This behavior is by design. Older versions of CC3+ used the default system text antialiasing scheme, which would result in random pixels around the edges of text being unaffected by effects (if ClearType was used, the random pixels would be blue or red). Note that drawn entities such as line in CC3+ also show this lack of antialiasing. You can get rid of the aliasing by turning on antialiasing for the whole image during export (click the Options button on the Save As dialog, enable the Antialiasing checkbox, and pick a value - I like 66% because it's a 2x AA value).
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    In addition to those facts - some fonts always look dreadful. The only way to find out is by trial and error, and to make sure that you don't use any fonts with the word 'small' in their name. They're designed for the small print on contracts and are horribly aliased at anything larger than about 8 point.