CC3+ Legend

Hello again,
I have been looking through the various manuals I have for CC3+, and, for some reason, I can't find anything about making a legend. If someone could help me with that, it would be awesome.
Another side question I had was if CC3+ comes with markers (like small circles, squares, triangles...). I've seen hundreds of full CITIES and such, but the only way I've been able to use city markers is by getting other FSC files from the internet. So... does CC3+ come with them. If so, where do I find them?
Thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To make a legend, I suggest just making a separate sheet for it, and put what you need on it. Note that both text and symbols tend to go to preselected sheets, rather than the current one, so you either need to temporarily disable this behavior, or simply using change properties after placing them to change their sheet.
    There are no special tools to make legends, just draw whatever you feel you like, like for example a white outlined square to place things on. As long as you keep everything on the same sheet, you can easily toggle the legend on and off
    (CD3 have a tool for creating a city index, which is kind of a legend, but it only generates the text for the index, nothing else. And it isn't very usefull on other map types.)

For simple city markers, you can use the symbols from @Symbols\Maps\Other\Geometry.FSC, you'll find some basic shapes there.
  • Thanks Monsen
    Out of curiosity, are their other types of markers in different maps - maybe from the annuals or something? I'm just wondering, because I was thinking of some city markers that have a little more detail.
    Just wondering - thanks for replying so quickly by the way - that's what I love about this forum.
  • The John Roberts style found in Cartographer's annual for 2011, has some very nice symbols for towns and cities. A few other styles do as well. If you have some artistic skill you could even make your own symbols and import them into CC3+. There is a tutorial on how that is done somewhere but I can't think of where right now. You can probably find it through Google or maybe someone can provide the link?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Ok lets try and find that tutorial for you.

Do you remember who wrote it?

How long ago you saw it?

If it was PF that published it?

Was it a written tut, or a video?
  • I tried my search fu for this, and apparently it has gone on vacation as I was unable to locate anything about map legends in here.
  • I did find this, about importing symbols. Is that what we were looking for?

https://www.profantasy.com/library/tutorials/How_To_-_Symbol_Catalog_from_PNGs.pdf
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I'm not actually sure what we are looking for, Autumn.

My thoughts were to link to the one I usually suggest - the Joe Sweeny video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Lhz-QLpX0

Though I think we may be collectively moving away from the point. The question was how to make a legend, which Remy covered in his response.

But then again, if thePyromaniac wishes to make symbols that's the video I learned the basics from :)
  • Thanks Loopysue, Autumn, and Remy... I'm pretty much set through these videos. I just got one of the annuals... pretty amazing stuff here.