A Very Disheartening State of Affairs...

This is a screenshot of a map I made over 2 years ago. In fact, many of you may remember it... it was one of my commissions from Mark of the Vyntiri Project for the introduction to Bogie's Mapping Objects for CC3+.

I just discovered that I have many fcws like this; in fact, any map I made prior to frying my previous laptop, that used the CSUAC or Bogie's Mapping Objects (or any other third party collection) looks like this. Which, I have come to realize, is about 95% of my towns, cities, dungeons, and floor plans. Which makes about 60% of my fcws worthless.

Is there anyway to repair this? Or do ALL of these maps need to be remade from scratch?

A very disheartening turn of events, to say the least...

Comments

• You should be able to repair things by re-installing the tools you had installed when you made the map. All the red Xs are files that no longer exist at the same location they did when you made the map. If you use the Info tool on one of the red Xs, you can see the file name of what file was used there in the past. If nothing else, looking at the Info will tell you which collections are needed. When you've re-created the environment you had when you drew the map, those Xs will go away.

More advanced users can probably tell you how to use symbol manager (or similar) to change the missing symbols with something else that is on your current set up.

Hope this helps.
  • Oh, I know what the problem is. You see, when these maps were made, I had the original CSUAC, the (at the time) beta version of Bogie's Mapping objects, and then some custom folders that are now the Dundjinni Archives.

but when I got my new laptop after my old one fried, I had to reinstall everything. By then the pathways were different, some of the licensing changed, and even CC3+ has been updated at least 6 times since then.

I also had some custom made symbols, symbols that were made by others, specifically for me because of specific needs I had at the time. I thought I had managed to save them, but apparently not.

Basically, I had a very custom set up, and it's probably going to take me 2 years or more to get it back to the way it was when those maps were created. I don't even know if that's possible.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Ah, that hurts, it's gonna be some work. It will be helpful to run LIST commands on the entities with the missing bitmaps (for symbols do that by "editing" the symbol from the Symbol Manager. Those will give you the original path and file name of the bitmap and should help in reconstructing things, i.e. putting the files in the matching locations again. Once you've done it for one map, it should get easier for further ones, as more and more files turn up in the correct locations.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I'll just add here that Mark Oliva just let me know that this is caused by LadieStorm having had a pre-publication test collections of the images and textures in question. People who used the officially released collections (CSUAC and Bogie's Mapping objects) should not be affected by any such issue.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2019
    This add-on can help you identify the missing files. It won't do the work for you, but it will list all the missing files in the drawing (including where CC3+ expects them to be).

You can download it from https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar0FSkyFAeo_qaMsZ_SqFxVENm6Udg

Just put the .dll file form the zip archive into your CC3+ installation directory (c:\program files(x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus by default) and the .xml file into your CC3+ data directory (c:\programdata\ProFantasy\CC3Plus by default).
    Then, the next time you start CC3+ and load one of the problematic report, you can just type IR on the command line and hit enter, and it will give you a nice list that first starts with all the add-ons it recognizes in your map, then a list of missing and unknown files. You don't need to worry about files listed under unknown, as that just means it don't know which add-on they belong to, it is the files listed as missing that cause the red X'es in your map.
    Once you know which files are missing, and where they are supposed to be, you can start putting copies of these files in the right places.

(This file requires that you are using the latest update to CC3+. Should it give you any kind of problems, just delete the CC3MonsenTools.dll file from your CC3+ installation directory, the file don't do any changes to your setup, it is only loaded by CC3+ if it exists in the installation directory.)
  • Thanks Remy, I will give it a shot.

As I stated before, I'm not as worried about Soulburn Castle, as I was planning to remake it anyway. This just pushes me forward to do so. But Ardenvale, the Horn & Stars, even my Thymescara map was affected. My Quest for the Zhed'Uhn Diamond map also got hit, but luckily all I have to do, is replace the parchment, and the little diamond studs, that Shessar made. I've already replaced the black diamond that Sue made... so that one is relatively easy to fix. I just have to go through each and every one of my fcw's to figure out which ones were affected. That's going to take time.