House tool colors

How can I go about adding color to the house tool so that I can get custom houses to match the current color versions placed from the tool palette?

I tried creating a custom setting and changing the roof color but it seems the bitmap overwrites that. I tried the varicolor checkbox but later learned through the Tome that removes the bitmap.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think you need to tick the little box under the Roof Ridge selector. Its the one called "Roof colour is varicolour". Then you need to have the right colour selected in the palette before you paste it.
  • Unfortunately not - the color is correct when you tick that box..but unfortunately it overwrites the underlying bitmap and turns a solid color.
    Hmmm.

I must admit to never having tried doing this myself. That's a bit of a problem. I'm not sure if there is a way around it.
  • Interesting. I wonder how it is that its done with the fixed options in the catalog. Feels like its just a step missing from the House tool. Be a share if its not possible.
    The House objects are constructed a completely different way to the regular fixed symbols. The fixed symbols are bitmap files - complete mini-drawings of houses. The House objects are a grouping of shaded polygons - vector objects with bitmap fills.

I was hoping that someone else more knowledgeable than me would come along and tell us both how its done.
  • Its all good...its Sunday and all....will figure it out eventually
  • Well I did discover I could put a green solid filled polygon on the top of the house on a sheet with a transparency but that was a less than clean work around. Still thinking.....
    If you are feeling especially adventurous you could try using an RGB Process Matrix?

Its a bit confusing to look at one of these effects, but what they do in essence is change the hue of anything on that sheet to just the one particular hue while leaving the tone (black and white) and chroma (amount of grey) alone. In a way it would look very much like the varicolour buildings, only the whole thing would be green - including the roof ridges and the chimneys.

The major disadvantage of doing it that way would be the shadows could be quite awkward. Maybe put everything you want to be green on that same sheet - varicolour buildings and all?
    In fact, it works better if you mix the regular house symbols (not the varicolour versions) with the regular coloured House command buildings on the same sheet with the RGB matrix. One of these is a regular non-varicolour house symbol, and the other is a building generated by the House command on the same sheet with the same RGB Matrix process shown above.
  • What a great way - I have bookmarked this. I am finding that RGB matrix has more uses than I thought - I have used it very rarely to date, but I can see that changing. No time to chat - back to mapping! :)
    Please don't ask me what the numbers in the little boxes actually do. I don't know. I just play around with them until I get the right colour. That's why I show the matrix - so people can copy if they want :)
  • What do the numbers in the little boxes actually do, Sue? hehehe
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2019
    Great that you guys found some workarounds.

To explain a few technical details.
    CC3+ only support varicolor for image entities (those used in symbols), and not for raster fills, which is what the houses you draw yourself are made up from. This is why varicolor on these doesn't work when you use a raster fill.

As for the numbers in the RGB Matrix dialog, they just say how the color mix is going to work.
    For example, the last line reads
    B = 0.2 * R + 0.2 * G + 0.25 * B + 0

This basically mean that the blue component of all pixels (all pixels have red, green and blue (RGB) components) are calculates as =.2 multiplied with the red value of the current pixel + .2 multiplied by the green value of the current pixel + 0.25 multiplied by the current blue value of the current pixel. Red and green components are calculated the same way (Notice that the first line in the dialog is all zeros, effectively removing red altogether)
    This calculation is applied to every pixel in the image individually.
  • I had actually added the RGB Matrix effect to the sheet when I was playing around with the color overlay idea - but immediately turned off of it due to the "what-the-heck" factor. Applying it across both house types didn't occur to me - very nice, Sue!

And thanks for the tech description, Monsen. I briefly considered doing a save-as to the original raster fill to get a green version I could use for the custom houses - I do believe the matrix solution will get me moving quicker. Still probably not quick enough to get Lake-town mapped for next Sunday's session especially since I still have some story to write. Que será, será
    LOL! Thanks Remy, but its all flying straight over the top of my head still. My mind thinks in three very simple quantities of red, green and blue - not by multiplying these colours with each other. I suppose that's how come you get to keep all the tone and chroma variations so that it doesn't just turn into a uniform green blob.

Don't worry about trying to explain it all over again. It never seems to work out in my head. But despite not having a clue about what's going on with this effect it seems to work out ok if I just keep fiddling with it till it looks 'sort of right' :)
    edited February 2019
    Clithgow & Quenten - if either of you are interested in setting a completely different mood over a city that will make it stand out from the crowd in one fell swoop you can get a really good night time or foggy effect without using any of the Dungeon lighting effects just by adding a new sheet with a Blend Mode effect set to overlay or multiply, and covering the whole map with a single rectangle of some suitably dark and purplish/magenta/dark green/dark blue rectangle.

Scott used it in one of his recent Drow village maps, and I used it in one of my Guild Challenge maps.

Here are a few examples:

[Image_12344]

A straight multiply of a purple rectangle (you can see the colour of the rectangle from the colour of the varicolour building bottom left)

[Image_12345]

A straight overlay

[Image_12346]

The same overlay with the brilliance of the light bits taken down a peg or two by an additional HS/L effect. You could also desaturate it a bit if you didn't like the bright colours.

If you used a pale colour you could make it foggy, or if you used a polygon filled with a cloudy texture you could make it quite spooky!

NB. If you want to make it paler, as with fog, the multiply blend mode wouldn't work. Overlay would be better. There are lots of other options - just play till you get one you like.
  • Wow, thanks. Perhaps an Orc village now goes on my list
    You're welcome :)

Things you have to watch if you want to make use of the blend mode to change the mood like that include how bright the ridges are on the buildings generated using the House command. As you can see I used the default House and the ridge is rather a lot more pale than the symbol ridge. It might be as well to adjust the setting so that the ridges on the House buildings don't glare quite so much when you add the blend mode sheet. It will give you more flexibility with what you choose to do with the blend mode.
  • Very neat! I can see setting up "mood" or "timeframe" sheets that can be turned on and off for various scenarios. Bookmarked - Thanks Sue!
    You're welcome :)

There are lots of tricks to make maps do interesting things. Maybe combine several sheets like this into an animated map like the one Monsen made not long ago?