Problem with "Draw Along"

Hey CC3+ Braintrust,

I'm working on creating some spiral stairs using the draw along command but running into a problem I haven't encountered before: It's adding the custom color version of the symbol along with the "normal" version of the symbol. Please see the attached picture and you'll get it. How do I stop it form doing this?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's an interesting way of attempting the feat :)

I haven't used Draw Along at all, but with something like this I might draw a single segment of the spiral as a polygon and use a circular array instead.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Make sure Allow random symbol selection from group is unchecked when you use the command. In that symbol catalog, varicolor versions are grouped with the normal ones, so if you leave it enabled, you'll get that result.
  • edited February 2019
    Loopysue,

Can you expound on your method a bit more? Mine works, but it is unwieldy because the stairs must be on a sheet that is below the floor sheet. And, of course, if there are two spiral stairs too close to each other they will overlap horribly.

Monsen,

Thanks, as always! Where can I find that option to un-select it? (I'm at work right now and can't dig around CC3 on my own to check).
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The option is in the dialog when you run the command, right below the symbol list.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    My method involves drawing a single step as a polygon using a gradient fill, aligning the fill to the back of the step, and then using the circular array (right click the clone tool to access it) to make the rest of the staircase with it. Its a bit more involved than that, because I also do the banister, and provide appropriate gradient fills for the step. Guidance on how to use Blend mode effects to let the underlying stone/wood textures show through.

I did a disgracefully error-ridden tutorial on it for the FB Group page, which I will work through again and pass to Profantasy - see if they would like to put it up on the blog page :)
  • Follow up question:

In the attached picture you'll see stairs on the bottom right - I know for a fact that I've used them before because theyre in my first attempt at Castle Ravenloft but I cannot find them anywhere now in my files. I also seem to remember there being a symbol set/art style based off an artist that I thought they were along with, (Not Schley, but like his in that the whole point of the set was that it was that particular artists style). Can someone help solve this mystery for me?
  • The stairs are from the Annual Jon Roberts set, in CA54, the free issue from June 2011. The symbol is only four steps long, so you've had to use it twice here to get the right length!