Human Skin Map (Pretty yucky in some details, please be aware)

The map that looks back at you.

I built it up with layers with names like 'tattoos' and 'branding' and 'painting' on aged parchment. However, I need a good length of dash to make sewing, for the coastlines. If anyone can suggest a good length or a good set of effects, please let me know. I used drop shadow, with a blur on, but maybe I could use a thin line and a bevel to make it stick up? Nevertheless, it's come out pretty well. Next time, I'll combine brown and red for the coloured lines.

Comments

• Well I like it. I would probably tone down and possibly slightly blur the black lines on the orbits though, some shade of dark grey perhaps? The blue text also seems a bit sharp to me. Of course I don't know how well skin will take fine details like that!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I agree, I would add a bit of a Blur to the black lines (put then on the same sheet as the text for example).
  • I wanted to give the idea of a foreign ink that had never faded for nasty reasons. However, if I do do that, I'd want it to be running into skin crinkles. Maybe a very thin fractalised polygon that shadows those lines?
  • Be interesting to see how that goes.
  • Badly.

It would take too long to do by hand, and I don't know anything about macros. Skin crinkles are out unless I can think of a better way.

My only problem with the circles themselves is that the big one has blocky lines in. I've smoothed that a bit with a blur on my working copy, but the circles represent influence of various sorts, with size as one of the main factors. I really want to keep that circle there, because it's central to the theme. The Cibolese don't use scale maps. They use angles to denote what something is, so a dash that comes off a circle at n degrees will mean something entirely different to one that comes off at n+15. Everything flows out from Cibola City to the left of the field, and the big circle is the communication methods. In this case, it may well be a road network.

I've covered the angular bits with circles, which looks pretty good. I'd like to get the skin patterning in more, but assuming a sacrificial victim is young there won't be many big wrinkles. Next time, I'll do it on lizard skin.