Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime6 days ago

So I'm going to start a new project today. I want to have a top-down detailed map of Lake-town for my Adventures in Middle Earth game two weeks from now. I'm going to start by scaling & tracing the keyplan on the attached image and go to town (pun fully intended.) My question to you all is - any thoughts on a good style? My initial thought would be CC3 City Basic but I thought about picking up an old annual to dive into as well (I only currently own 2018 and this years stuff so far.)

Any favorites? or "Hey! XXXX would be great for that!"

As always - I appreciate all your comments.
    Curt
      2019-02-09 11_01_00-Photos.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

The basic city styles are good, but if you want to be able to include greater variety you could always mix them with buildings created using the House command. In City designer this is the button with the house at the top on the left hand menu. Click options button once the dialog has opened and you will see that it is possible to create your own House styles - using your own fills if you wish :)

I would play around with it on a test map for a while first - once you create a house it's really difficult to edit it, so get good with the tool first before you start on your map ;)
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Thanks Sue - I'll try it out. I think I have messed with it a bit on my Rowanhold map - but I'll definitely revisit it.

Edit - Now that I look back at it I don't think I ever put any of those custom houses into that map - but I remember playing with the tool.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

If you have access to a whole load of roof fills you can make a huge variety of different houses, but there are limitations. The obvious one that keeps cropping up over on the CC3 Group FB page is that you can't make automatic buildings with holes in the middle (stadiums - I've been asked how to do one of those twice now), but what you can't do with the House command you can usually make with Shaded Polygons.

For the more elabrate rooftops that don't exist in the CD3 styles and can't be done either by using the House command or by using Shaded Polygons you may have to look to the annuals - yes.
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I think the Vintyri collection will go along way to having varied buildings - then I'll use the House command for the special buildings.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime5 days ago

LOL! Oh yes - of course.

I had quite forgotten them ;)
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Any thoughts on a good way to do the pallisade? I rather like how the pallisade symbol from the CSUAC looks when zoomed in on a portion (I imagine outputting each district to an 11x17) but it gets a bit lost when zoomed out (I'd like to do a 24x36 output for that.)

Sure would be nice to do a tool for that...I wonder about a open path with a bitmap fill of log tops. Then again maybe I should do it more diagrammatic with less realistic textures. hmmmm......
      pallisade.jpg
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Well I did find out that if I actually let it render, rather than just taking a screenshot of the client, makes the full zoom version looks pretty good. That being said, the pallisade symbol I'm using doesn't appear to have enough short section to work for so I'm still on the hunt for another wood stake wall option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime1 day ago

You can overlap them - I have in a number of maps. They are pretty good that way.
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Thanks Quenten...I actually have done that along most of the path so far to make it work...then I ran across this short run where the basic length would overshoot the corner....I suppose I could just adjust the map section there and make it the opening to a ramp down, rather than rigidly following the source material.
      gap.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime1 day ago

You can also EXPLODE the symbol, remove what pieces you want off it - and even save it as a symbol in its own right (though not necessary if only neede for a few things and/or you want to share the FCW with others using ProFantasy and free addons only, eg the Community Atlas - hint, hint.
    • CommentAuthorclithgow
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Unfortunately the EXPLODE doesn't do much here for that symbol since is basically just a .png file. I'll keep that in mind for other things. Maybe I'll look into the Tome on symbol making and see what I can accomplish in GIMP.

I just looked at the community atlas for the first time yesterday. Neat setup! I'll look into the submission guidelines soon.

Thanks again Quenten!