Duplicates of lines created, why and how to get rid of them

Hello,

I have been hand drawing a large map for a while now, tracing it from a scanned paper map. I have started running into the following issue. Once the drawing of a feature (like a mountain range) is completed, I tidy up the lines, trimming them and then use "line to path" and "combine path" commands, followed by path to poly. In between there can be a few iterations where I clean up something that I've missed earlier (meaning that I might have to explode entities to fix them).

What has now happened a few times, is that once everything is supposedly ready I try to make the paths into a poly, and it fails to execute. When zooming in I note that some of the lines have been multiplied, so that there are parallel lines running the whole lenght at an extremely close range to each others.

I may have even three duplicates.

My question is,
why is this happening? The second question is, how to get rid of the extra line(s)? They are so close that when zooming close enough to see them apart, the erase cursor is becoming too inaccurate (taking too wide steps) to hit only the lines I want to remove, not all of them.

Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't understand what is happening there, but if you have duplicated lines and it doesn't matter which of them you keep, use the move node tool to pick a node and move it sideways away from the bunch. then get the eraser and erase that separated line. If you have more than one duplicate line repeat the process until by moving a node you end up with nothing left in the space where it used to be. Then you can undo that last node move and be confident that you only have the one line.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Also remember that lines can be selected by entity ID. This is one of the best ways to separate two identical entities on top of each other.

See more about selections in this article

Don't know where the duplicate lines might come from though.