Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2019

I am redoing a keep from an old D&D module for an upcoming campaign and wanted to share a bit of this process as I thought what I've 'discovered' is real neat.

A bit of background, I often redo maps so that I have files that I can modify and change, so while going through the adventure module I was reading about the keep, it's history, it's current bandit inhabitants, etc... and I thought it was missing somethings. The adventure talks about a clearing, but the map is just of the keep proper, there's no outer wall, no moat, things are placed a little haphazardly, etc... So I wanted a map that would show the surrounding area a bit and also more closely model the keep as a defensive structure with concentric defenses.

Now to the point. I am always at a loss for making close up overland designs, so I went into Google Maps and looked around my general neighborhood, which is hilly and wooded, and used the measuring tool to measure an area 1000'x800', clipped that into OneNote, copied it into Paint, save as .png, and inserted into my map using a 100' grid with snaps on. I wasn't that surprised at how well it lined up, as you can see the Google Map measuring tool's circles at the corners, but it was nice to affirm that this type of operation can be done. This will likely save me a bunch of time in determining some map elements as I'll use this for some inspiration for laying down paths, rivers, ponds, contours, etc... it also will help me to scale trees and the like to look 'natural' for the map.

All-in-all, I stay amazed at how awesome this software is.
      Broken Spire Redo.JPG
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

So, for example, here are some rough freehand lines and text that I will use to work from.
      Broken Spire Redo - Idea Lines.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Interesting.....i am looking forward to seeing the progress and final map :)
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

Some preliminary contours, roads, moat/streams, and a gate house - my idea is to draw the initial map as the keep would have stood over 100 years ago, then try to deteriorate the area.
      Broken Spire Redo - Ground.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh I see! I thought you were going to use the Google image as the background for the map.

(I am famous for getting the wrong end of the stick ;) )

I was beginning to wonder how you were ever going to make it look good when combining a blurred photograph with relatively sharp drawn symbols, but I get it now! LOL!

Looking good - and like Lorelei I watch with interest :)
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

Yeah, it is mostly due to my lack of artistic creativity in coming up with backgrounds for close up overland areas. the image gave me lines to use to create various things. However, it's the first time I've tried this, so we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking it's already going well, the google image certainly gave me inspiration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

What a great idea - I will definitely use this process.
    I was looking at this and it looks like a great way to come up with patterns for cities. You've done a great job. Thanks for sharing it.
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Thanks, I had planned on having more to show in a short period of time, but like. I definitely plan on using it for cities as well, it's always been a weak point of my mapping that I can't come up with 'good' terrain for cities and such.