Cartographer’s Annual: February 2019 (Loopysue creation?)

Really looking forward to this over the next couple of days.

Does this mean that we can bug the heck out of Loopysue if we don't understand something? :)

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 2019
    Feedback is always welcome - whether it is positive or negative. This is a new idea, and new ideas are only very rarely perfect the first time around :)

EDIT: I will be doing a short blog article about the FCW included with the annual (the map of Corvallen) to explain the sheet effects I used, and why the symbols are the way they are. I am thinking that if there is anything in particular you would like explained I could add it in to that blog so that its all in one place for reference purposes.
    To start the ball rolling, this is a rather long answer I gave yesterday on the FB page to the question of: "...Would this package include the other things in the map, like the walls and bridges. And are there buildings suitable for the shade parts of town - your buildings in the map all look too beautiful to complete some of the cities I need to do."

Answer:

Annual issues are by nature a lot smaller than regular built-in styles simply because of the download size - 12-13 issues in an annual, so there has to be an upper limit for each issue to keep the annual small enough to download all in one go. However, there are 223 symbols in this particular issue - including the bridge, the walls, the trees, and the church. There is also a new parchment fill I used as the background for the scroll artwork. (The scroll itself is made in the map and not a symbol). The rest of the fills are all included in the built in City Designer 3 Add-on, which is one of the main three. The reason they look different is because of the sheet effects I have used in that particular example map.

I believe there has been at least one attempt at an isometric city style before now done in black and white linework, but as far as full colour goes this is the first (though I may stand corrected in a few hours time by the more knowledgeable folk around here).

The intention of making it firstly as an annual rather than a full blown add-on style straight off is to see if its what people want to have, and to work through any teething issues there may be. As with anything new there is always room for improvement, so all suggestions are very welcome.

Shadows and shading were both issues that I had to consider very carefully. As you know, the moment you reflect a building any built in shadows you have in that particular symbol immediately look wrong. Since the size of the set was an important limitation in this case I decided to opt for making reflection possible by leaving out the shadows. To compensate for the slightly flattened result I have drawn shadows on the wall sections and the church symbols using the Solid bitmap 20 and 30 fills right on top of the symbols there. The shadow issue is something that could be reconsidered if this ever became a regular style.

The FCW for Corvallen (the map shown above) will be part of the annual issue. There will also be a short blog article at some point in the first week after publication explaining all the sheet settings and how to draw any shadows you might like to have.
    I clearly misunderstood some of the question, but I can redress that in the blog article ;)
    edited January 2019
    Here is a screen shot of the Sketchup models used to make this set. As you can see from the number of white blocks I haven't yet developed there is plenty of scope to include a lot more. Its just that there wasn't room in an annual issue to go that far.

It would be better, I think, to wait and see what everyone thinks before finalising those unfinished models.

[Image_12201]

And here is an extract from the Corvallen map as a reference point.
  • I love this!
    And i am so happy i already subscribe to the annuals.
    Thank you :)

Thanks also to Profantasy for making this possible in the first place ;)
  • Hurrah ! Now I can make Iso villages to go with my iso dungeons ! Yippeee !
  • I have been itching to get my hands on this. So glad I subscribed. And we are so lucky to have such talent as sue to create these beautiful symbols!
  • Posted By: kieronwilliams80 And we are so lucky to have such talent as sue to create these beautiful symbols!
    This! Very much this! Sue has brought so much talent and inspiration to the forums. Thanks Sue!
    edited January 2019
    Aaaw… Thank you :D

But seriously - no suggestions for improvements?

Maybe there will be some in a few days time when everyone has had a go with it?

(And Kevbeck - sorry - I seem to have hijacked your thread!)
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    Sue , great work , but i have seen an inconsistency , not calling it a bug but the house with a coach stop would be nice with a little shadow in it , see the attached pic

Rob
    edited January 2019
    This is very true, Rob. Thanks for spotting it.

I avoided adding any shadows to the buildings so that the limited number in the annual set could be mirrored, but I totally forgot about the archways.

EDIT: There have been a few developments today - the extract above is slightly out of date. A glow and shadow effect have been added to the SYMBOLS sheet so that it looks a lot more like this now:

[Image_12206]

There is an alternative way of adding shadows, and that is by drawing them as polygons of Solid bitmap 20 or 30 (the transparent fills), but the two methods are mutually exclusive. You either have effects, or you draw polygons of shade. This is one of the things that will have to be decided by individual mappers according to personal preferences.
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
  • Unbelievablely fantastic. LoopySue, please change your name to StupendousSue!
    I don't normally do perspective, but I love doing settlements, so my next village will definitely use this.
  • This is beautiful work. It makes me think that the Skara Brae map from the old Tales of the Unknown / Bard's Tale needs a remake.
  • After a very quick investigation of the Annual, it's clear to me that these buildings will be ideal for creating unique settlement images for overland maps, as well as their intended individual isometric settlement drawings. Two uses for the price of one! Brilliant, Sue!

Ummm… I think they might be a bit over-detailed for overland symbol use, but there's no harm in trying ;)

I would hold off for a week or two before creating vast libraries of new overland settlement symbols for yourself, however, since I'm currently working on improving the walls and tower so they don't look so flat when used with a shadow effect. Ralf has very kindly agreed to allow an update of some kind when all the details are finally ironed out. This being the first set I've ever done like this, I will admit that every time I look at it again I see more and more mistakes I want to tweak! LOL!
  • Wasn't thinking of creating new symbol libraries in fact; just importing the symbol set and creating settlements "on the fly" from those, as it were. They may be a little over-detailed, compared with the existing CC3+ settlement symbols, but seeing how some of our mappers here have already reused such existing overland symbols to create new settlement landscapes, I don't think that'll be much of a problem.
    I was afraid that you would start to render out little settlements as new overland symbols before I got the walls right ;)

Village and town maps made with the set will be ok, of course, because as soon as the symbols are updated the maps using them will open with the updated symbols in them.
  • This reminds me of an Iso version of the John Speed style. Very nice. :)
    High praise!

Thank you :)

Profantasy did the update to the annual earlier today, so the wall and tower symbols will all look quite a lot better now. If anyone reading this has the first edition downloaded before 5th February, you might want to re-download the updated version that will now be available on your registration page and run the new setup file to update your copy.