Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019 edited

I'm not completely sure where I'll go with this. The wall and floor textures are just placeholders and everything is subject to change. I just wanted to stake my claim for a spot in the challenge. :D
      Well of Souls.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019

Looks nice and macbre to me. I think i spelled that correctly.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Spelt well enough to understand ;)

Looks really promising, Shessar :D
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

i LOVE the skulls spilling the blood into the pit!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2020

It's been over a year since I started this for last year's dungeon challenge. Real life overtook me and I couldn't continue, but I think that I would actually like to finish it now.

I haven't added or changed anything yet. I'm just bumping this up as motivation to finish the map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2020

spelled and macabre
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2020

"Spelled" is American (or maybe even Australian) in origin, though English people sometimes use it.

One of those cases where the American word is actually more cumbersome than the original English.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Oh, don't tell me we have been infected. Spelled is Australian too! I am going to revert to Spelt. Thanks for that
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh don't worry. I actually had to look it up before I made that first comment. I think I've written one too many blogs in American :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Spelled vs spelt: In American (and Australian) English, spelt primarily refers to the hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe, and the verb spell makes spelled in the past tense and as a past participle.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2020 edited

We use both, actually, but you would find it really difficult to find anyone outside the UK using spelt. In the UK it's all down to the place where you was growed up, like :P
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2020 edited

Blame old Noah Webster and his drive to simplify American English. He literally wrote the (or merely a) book. Some things in his dictionary caught on (missing 'u' in worlds like color), but some didn't (there's still an 'a' in bread, for example).

I believe there is a general statement along the lines of "English is a perfectly good Germanic language that got raped by Latin and then beaten mercilessly by French before it had a chance to fully recover."
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That seems about right, though we also have a lot of words that managed to survive from the original pre-Roman times, like: crag, cwm, corrie, brock, bog, crumpet, whisky/whiskey, penguin, loch/lough, banshee, bannock, clan, corgi, dulse, Gael, Gaelic, glen, gillie, gull, plaid, shamrock, slogan, trews/trousers, galore.

A whole load of bits and bobs like that, but notice how the word for whisky never changed in more than 2000 years! :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Except in Ireland where it is whiskey.
    And of course, as a world Empire, English continued to borrow many words from all countries they had 'colonized'. It is indeed a magnificent language IMO
    I think it's actually whiskey pretty much everywhere except Scotland. At least, that's what a whiskey blog I read a while back said. I know it's whiskey in America.
    • CommentAuthormike robel

It's whiskey on my tongue as I sip and savor it!
    • CommentAuthorelvwood
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2020

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James Nicoll
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

great quote
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2020 edited

Moderator comment: 

Language is all fun and stuff, but I believe this discussion has gotten too far off the actual topic. Let's get back to Shessar's map :)

Please don't reply to moderator comments, neither to argue or apologize. If you wish to tell the moderator anything in response to this message, please use a whisper.
    • CommentAuthorMerion

I really love the colour and texture of the lake! Not sure what the yellow dots are, but the general concept of a natural cave expanded with man-made structures mostly works well.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Thanks Merion!

The 'yellow dots' are actually skulls. This is still very much a work in progress. When I started it my only idea was a large pool of blood with blood flowing from the skulls. I'll confess that I'm still working out what the rest of the dungeon will look like. I have no idea. Haha.
      Well of Souls.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's changed quite a bit from the first image. I can't wait to see the rest of it :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2020

Thanks Sue!

I've doodled on this map over again many times. I feel like I've finally come up with a concept and layout that suits the setting of a level of the dungeons of the Temple of the Unholy. I still have a lot to do on this map but now know the direction I'm heading. :)

Question for those who have worked with lights more than I have. Is there a way to have the lights X symbol hidden when first opening a map? I've looked in every menu that I could think of and just can't seem to find a way. Having to hide them every time I open the map is getting annoying.
      Well of Souls v2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Add LIGHTHIDE to the OnOpenMacro map note.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

That's it! Thanks Remy!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2020

Just a small update as I begin adding details to the map.
      Well of Souls v3.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Getting more and more awesome. Maybe I'll have to drop my players into there. (As in right into that pool)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Looks marvellous. Love how you did the rocky walls - I would not have thought of that, but now it is in my head for when I do my second cave dungeon
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Oh this is coming along REALLY awesome. I love the lighting.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Looks deliciously evil!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

This was the first time that I've worked with lights to this extent. They take a lot of fiddling and adjustment but I think it was worth the effort for this map. This is exactly the sort of place that I pictured when I imagined the "Necromancers of the Scar". I think I'm done with this map but will check the map over to make sure I didn't misplace anything before handing it off to Remy.

Let me know if you see anything that needs fixed. :)
      Well of Souls v4.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020

Gorgeously evil.

Love it, Shessar :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020 edited

Love it. I really need to throw my players at it.

Take your time before handing it over to me though, I don't think I'll be able to process any new atlas maps for about a week anyway. Bit swamped at work (The kind of swamped which means weekends and free evenings are for other people).
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020 edited

I think I'm done fiddling with the light settings now so am turning it in for inclusion in the atlas. No rush on getting this added Remy. It took me a year to get around to finishing it so it can wait a week or more to get added to the atlas. :)
      Well of Souls v5.JPG
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

Hi Shessar. This looks really good. Are you able to get the text above the lighting effect?
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

Posted By: kevbeck43Are you able to get the text above the lighting effect?

My poor old lady brain is trying to interpret what you are asking and I've come up with two possible meanings. Sorry for being slow at interpretations at times. :(

If you are asking if it is possible to have text not be affected by the lights, yes. In this map the text is higher in the order than the 'lights finalize' sheet so is not affected by the lights.

If you are asking this because the text in this map appears somewhat dim, this is because it is grey not white to reduce the dominance of the text. I also made the text size rather small because I really prefer not to put text on my dungeon maps. It blocks details and gives players more info than they would or should have. I only include text on the atlas maps because it seems to be something that everyone does. LOL
    Also, this image is a lower res jpg so that it fits on the forum. It is easier to read in a higher res image.

If you meant something entirely different I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit more. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2020

Shessar's scary dungeon is now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution.

Temple Of The Unholy Dungeon Level 12 - Well Of Souls
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2020

Wonderful map!

Thank you very much :)