Room (Floor) bitmap magic?

Recovering from a long spell of not doing any RPG'ing...
I am picking up CC3/DD3 again...

I'm working through the CC3 tutorial where it starts talking about creating floorplans.
I also worked through a bit of the DD3 Essentials pdf.

Pretty quickly.. I've run into something I can't duplicate...
In the CC3 Essentials pdf (page 37), they show this starting floorplan layout.
See how the tiles line up perfectly between the two rooms and the corridor between?

My attempt... see how they don't line up, look where the corridor meets a room? how'd they do that in the example?

Also.. when I draw a room with this floor bitmap, I notice it *always* draws the floor with the brown square at the lower left corner.
(except I notice the corridor tool did not follow that same rule.. not only are the tile box's not aligned in my attempt above.. the location of the brown/white tiles are backwards as well.. argh)

I notice if I rotate the room, lets say draw it at a 45deg angle.. the bitmap doesn't rotate.. its not aligned to the walls.
If I wanted to rotate the bitmap to the same angle the room is placed at.. how would you do that?
Similarly, if I wanted the bitmap to be mirrored on the Y axis such that the white square is on lower left (which would be visually appealing perhaps for two rooms facing one another).. ?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    In the first example is the corridor wider in your drawing than in the tutorial?

In the case of aligning the fills...

You can cure both things by turning the floor into a 'shaded polygon'

Hide all sheet but the one with the floor on, then right click the draw polygon tool and pick 'Shade Polygon (angle by edge)', and click the bottom edge of the floor. Then type EDITSHADING and hit ENTER and check the 'Shade only copy' box and ok.

That should give you a filled floor where the fill will rotate with the room. Then, since there are an even number of squares in the pattern you can rotate it by 90 degrees to get the brown square where you want it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2019
    Posted By: ReyzoulAlso.. when I draw a room with this floor bitmap, I notice it *always* draws the floor with the brown square at the lower left corner.
    Nope, it always draws the top left square as a light square, it only looks like the bottom left is brown because of your room sizes happen to match up evenly with the fill size. The anchor point for the fill is the top left corner. You'll see that your corridor also follows this. Note that for the 45 degree rotated room, the anchor point for the fill is outside the actual room itself, just imagine where the corner would be if that figure was inscribed into a straight rectangle.

As for the alignment in the tutorial drawing, that entire shape was drawn as one single shape, it is not two individual rooms with a corridor (also remember this is from the basic dungeon tutorial for CC3+, intended for those that don't have DD3, so it is drawn using without the room and corridor tools of DD3, it just uses the drawing tools that comes with the basic CC3 dungeon style. You can easily get the floors to match up using the DD3 room and corridoor tools too, but it does require precise placement and width for the corridor.
  • @Monsen, Aha.. yes I have been combining both what I skimmed in the CC3 Essentials.pdf... with what I read later in the DD3_Essentials.pdf
    Your clarification of the CC3 and DD3 tutorial techniques really helps explain why the two techniques build different results wrt the maps.

I glossed over the fact that you rightly point out.. the CC3_Essentials drew that floorplan with a single polygon, while the DD3_Essentials tutorial starts out using the DD specialized tools like rooms and corridors.

The DD3_Essentials tutorial doesn't draw out the same floorplan as the CC3_Essentials.. that's another place I was merging them together. I guess I was trying to make that CC3_Essentials example, but by using DD3 techniques.

Ok so that makes sense how the bitmap of the single polygon (CC3 method) is totally consistent throughout because its literally just one bitmap placed within a complex polygon.
    While the bitmaps of the 2 rooms + corridor (DD3 method) are three separate bitmaps within three separate polygons and.. aligning them I am imaging now is going to be tricky.

* in a 3d drawing cad tool like 3dsmax or Maya etc, I would imagine being able to fiddle with how the bitmap maps onto the object in a very detailed way if I wanted.. specifying an optional bitmap transform for each object receiving the bitmap texture (a triangle or mesh) .. in this case those objects are rooms+corridor to make this do what I want.
    room1 would have no transform, just draw as default I'll deal with it in room2 and corridor. Though I can also imagine having the desire to shift the bitmap by half the width of the tile pattern.. that would look very nice.

room2 would have a flip/mirror on Y transform
    and the corridor might need some carefully calculated (trial and error or zoom-in close and measure it) x/y coordinate transform to shift it just right regardless of the width of the corridor.. should still be able to make it match.
    And the 45deg room would have a rotation by some # of rads.

(I don't have CC3+ yet... if I recover from this RPG wasting disease I've been on for many years... maybe I'll go get it.. )
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Unfortunately, CC3(+) doesn't support that level of detail when it comes to manipulating your fill styles. You can use the shading options Sue mentions to rotate them (although it is a bit more limited in CC3 than CC3+), but it doesn't allow other kinds of transforms and displacements. The general way to make things like floors to match up is to simply merge everything into a single polygon.
  • Posted By: LoopysueHide all sheet but the one with the floor on, then right click the draw polygon tool and pick 'Shade Polygon (angle by edge)', and click the bottom edge of the floor. Then type EDITSHADING and hit ENTER and check the 'Shade only copy' box and ok.
    This is brilliant! I always just thought that the fill went the way it did and there was nothing I could do about it. This has just opened a world of awesome.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you :)

Though the credit goes to Profantasy for creating the command and Monsen for originally explaining to me how it all worked.

Not so brilliant for Reyzoul, however - at least not until he gets CC3+. I don't think this works in CC3.
  • kathoruskathorus Traveler
    edited January 2019
    Posted By: LoopysueThough the credit goes to Profantasy for creating the command and Monsen for originally explaining to me how it all worked.
    That always seems to be the case with me too :)