Using move/rotate/scale on objects with outlines

So, assuming that this isn't some quirk that's unique to my CC3/CC3+ installations, then I would also assume I'm not the first to ever notice this, but I didn't find anything pertaining to this issue by searching. Was kind of hard to figure out what words to search for though, so it could have been discussed in the past and I just couldn't find it.

Basically, when using the above commands (move, rotate, or scale) on a polygon with an outline, the whole object kind of "disappears" while executing the command. i.e. if you're using move, then while moving it, the object (which is now rendered only as a "skeleton" frame) is invisible most of the time. You can kind of get it to briefly/sporadically appear when moving the cursor around, but it's not reliable and the appearances last for only a fraction of a second. And if you hold the cursor still, the object being moved is just completely invisible until you wiggle the cursor again. It makes executing those operations kind of a pain, especially with rotate and scale.

As mentioned, it seems to only happen on objects that have an outline, for whatever reason. It's pretty much always been like this in CC3 and +. I always just tried to deal with it but I've been moving a lot of stuff around on my modern city maps lately, and boy have I really noticed it more.

So, is there any way to get rid of this, and make it so outlined objects stay "visible" while moving/rotating/scaling, the same way non-outlined objects do?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is a quirk related to how the preview system for entities at the cursor works. As you know, the preview is just an outline of the entities in question, and for this outline to be visible against any background, it is basically represented by inverting the color of the background. Problem occurs when there are two lines overlapping each other, because inverting something twice results in the original colors again. You'll find that entities that are stacked three deep previews dine again.

There is no way to change this behavior, the workaround is to add a second outline identical and on top of the first to the entities.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't think there is. At least, I've never heard of one. You just get used to it in the end. I tend to make sure I pick a particular corner or line as the origin so that I know what I have on the end of the crosshairs to place it accurately. For example if I have a building I want to abut to its neighbour I pick the corner I want to line up with the corner on the other building and then position it by clicking the corner of the other building.

With scale you can scale it more precisely by tapping and entering a scale factor on the keyboard. For example, if you know you want it to be exactly twice as long/wide as it is then you just hit 2 and ENTER. Half the size is 0.5, and so on.

You can rotate something in 15 degree steps by holding down SHIFT during the rotate operation.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hehe! It just wouldn't be the PF forum if you didn't ninja me on a regular basis, Remy :)

Serves me right for messing around testing stuff on my map before finishing the comment ;)
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Drat, kinda thought that would be the case, that there's no way to just get rid of that behavior. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask!

And yeah, those are all tools/tricks I use often, Loopysue. Helps save a lot of headache! But there are times when I quickly go to move/rotate/scale something slightly and just START, without thinking about it and taking the time to make sure I'm using the techniques to get around this issue. Then I usually have to just hit escape and try again once I realize that I'm not able to see what I'm doing!

Monsen, thanks for the information about overlapping lines/outlines. I didn't know that, and for times when it's REALLY going to be difficult to complete the operation (even with the tools Loopysue mentioned) I might try adding a temporary extra outline on another layer.