Seriously screwed up something

Hi again, problem child is back with what seems like a Gordian Knot of a problem. Again, being a bit pedantic in the hopes of giving good info to troubleshoot.

1) Been working on a floorplan for the past couple of weeks and have a large library of progressive saves to fall back on in case I screw something up.

2) Nearly done with the floorplan when I look up instructions on how to place a grid from covering the entire map to just the interior of the floorplan. I was making use of the instructions on page 212 in the ToUM, beginning with creating a 5' fill pattern on the Fill Style (and halving all the values in the Specifications box).

2-A) Kept running into problems with step 43 which read "Click copy button, then hit L (for selection by layer), right click, and select "Background (Floor 2) from the layer list. THis should select all the floor entities in our dungeon. Hit D. When CC3 asks for the "copy from point" enter 0,0 -Enter. When asked to place the entity typ 0,0 -Enter again, then right click to finish the command".

Problem here was 1) I had no option to choose "Background Floor 2" as a layer, so I chose "Background Floor 1". This was even more puzzling when I undo'ed back to look at the layers and saw that the "Background Floor 2" layer was listed in the layers available. Retraced my steps, still limited to "Background Floor 1". So I chose that and when asked from what point to copy from, was able to enter 0,0 but then after hitting "D" there was no request as to where to place the entity.

3) I click on Change Properties and hit P (for prior) and get no entity selected. I check my layers and notice that my grid is set to Frozen, ok I unfreeze my grid layer and double check that everything is now unfrozen, and try to do everything all over again as listed in 2-A, again I don't get the option to either use Background Floor 2 or got a request to place a entity. Curious I manually select the grid itself which highlights properly. Then as the ToUM says, i select Layer: Hex/Square Grid
Color: 16
Fill Style: Sq Grid 5'
Sheet: Grid

Click ok, issue redraw and...nothing. The entire map has a grid.

4) So I say screw it, I'll just live with the grid over the whole map then, I get prompted to autosave, tell it to shove off and hit undo. Checking my map again I just about to move onto labeling it when I notice a couple of symbols have a inappropriate glow from another sheet due to my having not selected the proper sheet to put them on. No biggie, I've had plenty of practice of editing properties and zoom in to select the two symbols to place them onto the proper sheet.

Only...I can't select them. Crimeny I thinks, I must've hosed something bad with following all those instructions and likely have no clue where I did it. No big deal, i saved before I ventured into this stage as I have been religiously saving incrementally before doing anything to do with another topic. So I open my previous save and....WTH??? I can't interact with anything. Without much to go on, I check my Layers to make sure everything is unfrozen and my sheets are all un-hidden. Far as I can tell, I should be able to manipulate objects and resume as before, but I can't interact with anything. In fact, i can't do squat all, the command line alternates between:

Layer Name (dialog) and Command (Era).

I go back to another earlier save, still no joy. I go back two more "chapters" (this represents roughly 12 hours of work) and STILL i can't do anything. I exit the program entirely, reload it to be beset with the same problem. I reboot my rig, reload CC3+ and STILL I'm locked out of being able to do a thing. I open up tutorial files wondering if they're affected, same story, restricted to "Layer Name (dialog)" and "Command (Era)" on the command line, nothing I click does bumpkis.

Totally stumped on what I messed up to lock down the program like this =P Would greatly appreciate anyone's help in understand/resolving my screw up. TIA.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    What happens if you open CC3 by double clicking an earlier map instead of hitting the CC3 icon?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sounds like you have somehow managed to change your selection method, try going to Tools --> Options --> Select Method --> Dialog or Popup.

For the grid problem, I have no idea why you couldn't select Background (Floor 2), as I cannot reproduce that. Using Background (Floor 1) instead might or might not work, it really depends on if there are any entities there or not. The whole point of this step is to make a copy of the floor and turn the copy into a grid, so if BACKGROUND (FLOOR 1) is empty, trying to copy from it will result in 0 entities selected, and if you select Do it after selecting 0 entities, the command will just terminate, you won't be asked to place anything, because you have nothing to place.
    Now, if BACKGROUND (FLOOR x) contains entities depends on how your room and corridor tool is set up when you used them. The Option Floor- Background sets what to put on BACKGROUND (FLOOR 1), while the option Floor - Forground controls what is added to BACKGROUND (FLOOR 2), so if either of those are unchecked, then nothing will be added to that particular layer when you use the tool.
  • @Loopysue, in response to your question I can't say as that wasn't something I thought of trying at the time.

@Monsen

Whew, thanks!! If you lived here I'd buy you a cronut & coffee for that! I followed your instructions on the Tools option and was able to make use of tools again and I have absolutely no frigging clue how I changed that. But as is often said, one learns from mistakes and so (hopefully) next time I run into anything similar I'll check the tools button.

Also thanks for the explanation of why the grid placement wasn't working. The floor plan is of a ship where I had used the layers & sheets of Deck and Deck 2 that came with Annual 3, I didn't actually put anything on any of the Background layers except for the water background fill so your explanation helped me see where I had erred. I'll have another go at trying this tomorrow by moving the Deck entities to the Background, right now I'm just relieved to have the last 2 weeks of work restored.