Lighting and Render Resolution

I think I have hit a limitation within CC.

I was trying to do an effect where light shafts are shining through, but the higher resolution the export the wider the light has to be to render. Below I have my findings I listed the resolution I rendered each one and the degrees the light source is set too below each. On the last one was just a test to see if DPI had any bearing (the rest the DPI was set to the resolution) and it appears not.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You have absolutely lost me there.

What the where when?

What effect are you talking about, and what are we actually looking at?
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    The dungeon lighting effect. Below each is the width in degrees. It seems the higher the output resolution it losses the ability to render narrower light sources.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    What are we looking at in those images you have uploaded? Symbols? Fills?

Maybe if you show us a larger part of the map so that it makes more sense. At the moment there's just a zigzag line between a dark bit and a light bit. This makes it extremely difficult to work out what the problem is or offer a solution.
  • If I'm understanding it correctly, it's how the dungeon lighting effect renders at different resolutions when exporting to an image file. So in the first example, when the light effect's angle is 70 or less, it doesn't show up in the picture.

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but it might be helpful to know what you're exporting to and include a screenshot/listing of all the settings.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2019
    hmm.. A very interesting find indeed. I can easily replicate this behavior, but I don't know what causes it exactly. I am guessing it might be some kind of math issue or something, perhaps some rounding issues or something. But I don't know for certain. I'll ask check if I can find someone who knows something about this, I'll be back if I do.

And just for the record, the DPI setting is completely meaningless for anything but print, really, and won't affect the outcome.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Thanks for chiming in (and confirming it’s not just me) I knew if anyone had some insight it would be you. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Just as another interesting note, I cannot see a light angle less then 14-15 degrees within the program, but it will render the light at a low enough resolution.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Talked to to developer, and turns out I was somewhat right in my guess. This should be fixed in time for the next update.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Awesome, thanks for looking into that!
  • 11 days later
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    The issue is now completely fixed. It even displays within CC3+

Thanks Monsen and development team!